Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joe Manganiello Cast as Deathstroke for Batman Movie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Joe Manganiello has been cast as Deathstroke for the upcoming Ben Affleck helmed Batman movie.

Geoff Johns, president of DC Entertainment and co-chief of DC Movies, confirmed the casting during an interview with The Wall Street Journal. It was also revealed that Johns, who was recently promoted to oversee DC’s film division, is currently writing the solo Batman feature that’s set to be directed by Affleck. In addition to Batman, the prolific comic book writer is working to develop The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg for the big screen. (WSJ also reports that Johns did a rewrite of the Wonder Woman script and worked with director Patty Jenkins to get it right; similarly, he worked with Zack Snyder on rewrites for The Justice League, which is currently filming in London.)

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Before everyone starts mentioning how shitty the DCEU is, keep in mind this is Batfleck. He's writing the script with Geoff Johns and developing the whole film from start to finish. If there's any reason to have hope for the DCEU (loved BvS ultimate cut though), this is it.

InfiniteArms and coleslawed like this.
  3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I just wish he was allowed to pull a Nolan and develop his film without any ties to the existing DCEU. Affleck has been an absolute monster in the directorial chair, but there's just so much crap he'll have to work with that wouldn't be there if he simply had a clean slate. Holding out hopes for this being the first DC movie since 2012 where a good guy on the screen actually does something remotely inspiring.

4. noozi

Could have started out with "Former Goldfinger roadie, Joe Manganiello, has been..." or perhaps used "Mr. Sophia Vergara" instead of his former name.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Wait as in the band Goldfinger???

Also Joe is a much better actor than Sophia in every way.

6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Wow, this guys gonna have his hand in all of their movies, I think that's a good start for continuities sake. I'll see it, but to me, anything tagged as "Batman" is going to be measured against Nolans trilogy, which I think are the best in the genre.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Pretty stoked about this casting.

8. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

I'm still holding out hope that after this particular DCEU is said and done, Nolan and Bale will come back for a fourth one, haha even if it's ten years from now.

carlosonthedrums and Ryan like this.
  9. aniafc

Trusted

Even Nolan and Bale couldn't save the disaster that is this DCEU.

fenway89 likes this.
  10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Oh, haha I meant just coming back for a fourth film to continue where they left off, not connected to the DCEU. Would love to see Bale reprise the role again one day.

11. aniafc

Trusted

Ohhhh, okay I'm re-reading your post and idk how I misinterpreted that.

I'm with you, though. TDK trilogy is easily my favorite set of movies from this genre, and even all-time, to be honest.

12. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Haha no worries! That trilogy definitely ranks as one of my favorites in general as well. If they could get the right script and everyone on board, and make a comeback several more years down the road, I'm sure it would be huge box office wise.

13. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I'd die if that happened, and if it did, I couldn't imagine it being more than one movie.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I love TDK as much as the next sane person but Batman Begins has some issues that are glaring and The Dark Knight Rises is a bad film.

I'm just saying, give Batfleck a chance because I definitely believe he will make a film better than BB/TDKR.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I can't imagine seeing B v S and thinking "I want this movie to be 30 minutes longer."

How many extra dream sequences was Synder able to fit in that were cut from the original film?

16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

It's a totally different film man. Tone and pacing is so much better. Like trust me, it's incredibly better. If anything, you'll see it as a better yet still flawed film.

17. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah realistically speaking, I could see it as being a one off, single film, in a sense, kind of what they did with Jason Bourne in regards to bringing everyone back 9 years later or something like that. I can only hope!

18. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I just don't know if I can sit through that movie for 3 hours again no matter how good it may be now. Do you realize how insane a commitment that is? I could watch 3/8ths of stranger things in that time and be on to the 4th episode

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yes, but only if WB gets out of Ben's way and lets him make the movie his way. Not even Scorsese could make a decent DC universe film with the level of studio meddling on display in Batman v. Superman and especially Suicide Squad.

Luroda and mattylikesfilms like this.
  20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Agreed 1000000%

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  21. aniafc

Trusted

I would be so happy with this. No doubt it would do huge money.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  22. noozi

The one and only! I guess he and Feldmann are still close as can be - couple videos from his wedding showed him and John playing some songs together at the reception or something like that

23. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

How Warner Bros Is Course Correcting DC's Movie Universe

While stuff like this is encouraging, I can't help but feel bad for the studio having to repeatedly try to save face like this. If they do manage to turn it around and get both fans and critics on board, it'll be one of the most stupendous feats in film history. I don't see it happening while Zack Snyder is still on their payroll, though.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  24. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Will Matt Damon be in this?

coleslawed likes this.
  25. He's going to look intimidating, that's for sure.