Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joe Biden Wins Presidency

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Joe Biden will be the 46th President of the United States.

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was elected the 46th president of the United States on Saturday, promising to restore political normalcy and a spirit of national unity to confront raging health and economic crises, and making Donald J. Trump a one-term president after four years of tumult in the White House.

Mr. Biden’s victory amounted to a repudiation of Mr. Trump by millions of voters exhausted with his divisive conduct and chaotic administration, and was delivered by an unlikely alliance of women, people of color, old and young voters and a sliver of disaffected Republicans. Mr. Trump is only the third elected president since World War II to lose re-election, and the first in more than a quarter-century.

The result also provided a history-making moment for Mr. Biden’s running mate, Senator Kamala Harris of California, who will become the first woman to serve as vice president.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. heymattrick

Sending my love

I was so glad I turned on CNN just about 5 minutes before it was called. This was the result I wanted but I did not think it would bring me to tears like it did. I remember when Obama got elected in 2008 and the emotion that came over me then. This was greater.

I cannot believe we have a female, non-white Vice President elect. Truly legendary.

Also TIL the R stands for Robinette and honestly, fuck yeah.

3. estacey99

Oh yeah, oh yeah, everything is terrible.

lot of work still to be done but thank fuck the orange bastard will be gone

5. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Weekend post? What is this?

I’m super happy this has finally been declared, and I’m looking forward to Biden breaking 300 electorals when it’s all said and done. It’s terrifying how close this was still though.

falafelmywaffle and palebluedot like this.
  7. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

the whole idea of the election having a narrative and Biden “coming back” is so bogus. The votes are the votes no matter what order we count them in. He was always going to win, nothing miraculous happened in the last three days

Mick, sowrongitsryan and Tomozaurus like this.
  8. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I consider it a miracle that somehow the trump train didn’t derail our democracy in the last week.

9. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Thank the gods! But most of all, Stacey Abrams!

10. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Still has 2 months..

11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I tweeted we should all start streaming this to get it on the charts..

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

14. rbf737

Regular

I just watched their speeches. It was so fucking refreshing to hear a speech from our president (elect) just full of hope and completely devoid of hate, fear mongering, and ego. Just hope. It was so strange to see after the last four years.

parkerxcore, Mick, slickdtc and 16 others like this.
  15. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I literally felt a dark cloud of Trump depression lift off me this morning. I feel lighter.

16. razorburn

Trusted

The world is a brighter place today.

17. AMC

Regular

Just think over 71 million people voted for Trump.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  18. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

I'm still terrified that this is going to somehow be reversed and we're gonna have another four years of this prick. Watching the speeches last night gave me so much hope, even more so than when Barrack won the first time, which I didn't think was even possible. I'm just still waiting for the other penny to drop, I just can't celebrate until either Trump concedes or he's out of the White House. He's gonna do everything he can to fuck up even more over the next two months than he has in the last four years.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but after four years of living like this, it's hard to have hope that this is actually real. I'll celebrate come 1/20/2021 (just realized that's the same date backwards as forwards).

19. deflector

formerly pizzatime

This election proves that voting for the "lesser of two evils" is 100% the way to go. Hopefully we can turn the Senate in January. I'll be reaching out to my former students in Georgia and try to do some registering/canvassing this next month or so.

20. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I drank a bit yesterday to celebrate. Today I wake up with the same dread I have had for four years.

I won’t really celebrate or feel OK until that motherfucker is out of office or six feet deep and I don’t care which one happens first. And I’m a well-off white guy. I have nothing to truly fear, beyond a planet that is uninhabitable for my kids. I don’t know how others do it without slipping into depression. Maybe they don’t.

I’ll be praying and sleeping with one eye open until 1/21/21

21. SFguitar

Regular

That was damn stressful, so glad it's over. SMH at people that say Biden was the "lesser or two evils", like Biden is at all comparable to that psychopath Trump.

Jfletch and billyboatman like this.
  22. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Exactly what I’ve said. Trump is pure evil.

falafelmywaffle and SFguitar like this.
  23. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/07/09/peaceful-transition-power-trump/

Good read.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  24. Landrick Robert

Stay Gold

Trump is a fucking cult and it's fucking scary.

25. deflector

formerly pizzatime

Look, I voted for Biden. But if we really do want to be a society that "believes women," then we have to accept the fact that we voted for someone who has repeatedly crossed boundaries with female staffers and purportedly pushed a woman against a wall and put his fingers inside her. As easy as it is for some people to say "the choice is clear" this is still a big deal for some people. Voting for Biden was absolutely necessary for a multitude of reasons, but saying that he is not the lesser of two evils overlooks or downplays this aspect of his character. Yes Trump is worse, but they are comparable.