Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by futures, Apr 6, 2016.

1. DesolateEarth Apr 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2016)
    DesolateEarth

Birb

Mine is "Work", I know it was probably originally meant to be a safe single, but still feels a little out of place on the album.

Granted that if we are rating songs on the album on a scale of 1-10, the other 10 songs on Futures are all 9s and 10s and "Work" is like a 7 so still a pretty good song.

airik625 likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Drugs or Me" is usually the other "default least favorite" for that record, but I personally love it. I think the way the song is orchestrated is really interesting and I've always loved the chorus. It's not quite like any other song in their catalog.

Honestly can't imagine another song coming before "Kill." I think "Work" fits perfectly and is probably one of my favorites on the record.

airik625 likes this.
  3. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

I relate to "Work" so hard, probably a top-5 JEW song for me honestly

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Decided to start off my day by listening to Bleed American. These are the type of positive life choices I need to make more often.

Tyler and inwaves like this.
  5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Dang, second thread and I'm still the only one who voted Damage, and one of only 4 who voted Invented. haha

6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

You voted twice?

7. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I listened to Damage today and its really spectacular. I think @Craig Manning review really does it justice. Probably my 3rd favorite JEW record, gun to my head and I had to rank them in a specific order.

Jason Tate and Craig Manning like this.
  8. DesolateEarth

Birb

Totally fair points.

Nothing wrong with loving Invented and Damage, they are both great albums! Sadly though they are going up against Clarity, Bleed American, and Futures, which a lot of people here grew up on and have incredibly fond memories of.

airik625 likes this.
  9. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

The thing says you can do two I think. Maybe that was the original thread. haha I view those two as pretty equal on top of my rankings though.

10. Craig Manning

Heyyy, thanks bud. That might have been the most commented on review I wrote for AbsolutePunk. I was still a relatively new staff member then, and I remember being so psyched to cover the new Jimmy Eat World album. Glad to have that one posted over here now.

Yeah, I think having had really personal connections to Futures and Chase This Light kind of makes it hard for anything to really play in the same league. Those two records are really great, though.

11. Iago

forbidden chalice.

@Craig Manning if I recall correctly, it was your review that got me into Jimmy Eat World. The part about how new fans will listen to Damage in their car and experience the songs in a heartfelt manner really resonated with me.

Craig Manning likes this.
  12. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Love Damage. This band has aged so well

Craig Manning and Jason Tate like this.
  13. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

i got so excited when i saw it had been posted on here. Also soooo excited to be able to read some of @Jason Tate old reviews. that METN review is still one of my all time favorite reviews, along with the Vheissu one. so nice to know talented writers.

Craig Manning and Iago like this.
  14. Hahah. Thanks! I am very self conscious about some of those, but I appreciate it a whole lot.

Craig Manning and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  15. Craig Manning

The Damage one is definitely near and dear to my heart. I took this really awful job right out of college that just left me feeling drained and pissed off and negative all the time. Only worked there for a few weeks. But I posted that review one morning before I went to work, just some random Tuesday or something, a week or two out from the release. And I went into work and had a terrible morning and then I opened the internet on my phone and there were all of these positive comments about my writing and about how excited it had made people for the album, and I was just like "Fuck this, I'm quitting my job." So I quit my job in the middle of the day and drove home and that's how I became a full-time freelance writer.

I also remember reading that Mean Everything to Nothing review the day I got into the college/music school I wanted to go to and buying the album without knowing anything about the band because of @Jason Tate's lofty praise. Definitely made an impression. Just more positive memories from all the years I spent on AbsolutePunk.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

This is awesome and put a huge smile on my face. Thank you for telling me that.

Iago likes this.
  17. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

I go between Futures and Invented as my favorite

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Or "drugs" on...

I'll see myself out.

Ok, fine, it wasn't that good.

airik625 and Iago like this.
  19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Futures was my favorite several years ago when I first got into the band, then Invented really clicked and that was my favorite, and Chase This Light has now been my favorite for quite a while. What a band.

Also, I do think "Nothing Wrong" is the weakest song on Futures, and "Drugs or Me" is a great track.

20. Iago

forbidden chalice.

This made me chuckle.

21. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Finally started checking these guys out after seeing so much hype on AP over the past few months. Besides the few hits of theirs I don't know much, but I find myself really enjoying Futures so far. Where should I go next, Bleed American or Clarity?

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Bleed American and Chase This Light.

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Bleed American is probably more similar but less dark at all. By contrast, Chase This Light is sunny and power-poppy. Whichever you think sounds better -- do check them all out eventually though.

24. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I think I'll try BA next. The darker moments of Futures like Drugs Or Me are definitely some of my favorites. But I still want to give Futures more time before I move on to the rest, which I do plan on.

airik625 likes this.
  25. JM95

Trusted

Definitely try Bleed American next. It's brilliant.