Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World Band • Page 398

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by futures, Apr 6, 2016.

1. minty901

Hey now. Look at you. Way cool.

I feel like a month is enough time to make people notice, but maybe not. I guess we'll find out.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i mean, i’m sure their last few haven’t sold great, so maybe they’re trying to shake it up, but there is no evidence of this band being able to do well on a month long rollout bc they haven’t done it haha. i’m skeptical. they aren’t beyoncé and they aren’t some unknown bandcamp band. they’re kind of the perfect band for the traditional rollout “schedule”

3. I’m not a marketing expert but I would think a shorter lead in, in today’s world, would be better. I feel like so much gets lost in all the noise. I would think them being like, “Heads up, album’s coming out real soon” would generate some quick buzz and keep people on board.

In my own experience there have been so many times I’ll hear of an album or movie well ahead of release that I just forget about all together.

In any case, so effing pumped for new JEW!

Anthony_ likes this.
  4. minty901

Hey now. Look at you. Way cool.

I'm inclined to agree with you. But I wonder if there's a balance between a long rollout allowing as many people to be notified, and a more dense, barrage of information during a short rollout that will force people to take notice.

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah, this. Any rollout longer than like six weeks and you’re risking getting completely lost in the shuffle unless you’re at like megastar levels.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i’m not saying it should be a six month thing like weezer is doing now haha. but at this point, you’re only allowing time for one single, and even then i’m guessing a fair amount of people will say “well, the full album is coming out in a month, so i’ll skip the single and listen in full.” and then forget the album comes out a month later haha. i’m also not a marketing expert but 2 1/2 - 3 months seems like the sweet spot for a band their size.

7. With peoples attention spans being so short these days, I think a 1 month cycle could be a good thing too. Release one single along with pre-orders, and then release the full album just a month later. Keeps the album announcement fresh on everyone's minds, and they don't have to keep releasing singles leading up to it in order to remind people about its existence. I think a 1 month turnaround is just fine.

The only thing I can see being a problem with just 1 month until the album's release is vinyl. I'd expect that the vinyl orders won't be released on time. Unless the band's already got them cookin' and there's an exclusive version of it that will be marketed as "limited." And then a wider proper release of it will follow in like November or something.

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

More short album rollouts, please! I am especially tired of the "release a single but then wait two months to actually announce the album" strategy that seems to be super popular as of late.

9. Stra1ghtArrow

Didn't Alkaline Trio do something similar with is this thing cursed?

David Parke and bradsonemanband like this.
  10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I am very pro short album release cycles. Releasing half an album as singles seems, for me, to take away from the album as whole. Yes - no one is making me listen to singles released by bands I like but my self-control is nil haha.

11. technically they did do this, they just waited a year instead of two months lol

David Parke, Fox83 and contra11mundum like this.
  12. ragnarokstar

Regular

I vastly prefer this short album rollout compared to say Blink's rollout where they released a third of the album as singles.

13. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

[​IMG]

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, but it didn't sell very well and I literally just met a huge Alk3 fan who had no idea it existed hahaha

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

That said, I like short rollouts

16. Craig Manning

Guessing “Love Never” has been re-recorded/it was never a “single” anyway, so it’s not really the same thing.

17. ha yeah i'm just making a joke, definitely not the same thing. getting two new jimmy songs off of their three year cycle out of nowhere was a true blessing

Craig Manning likes this.
  18. Anthony_

This seriously annoys the hell out of me. Can’t stand it.

19. "huge fan who had no idea it existed"

REAL BIG FUCKIN FAN!

haha jk. But honestly, that's probably in their top 3 albums, and it bums me out it didn't sell real well.

David Parke and JRGComedy like this.
  20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

It was wild! He's one of my bandmates and showed me his cd collection and had everything up through My Shame Is True and then had no idea the newest one was real haha

bradsonemanband likes this.
  21. that last Alkaline Trio record was really good, should pull it out again soon

22. Craig Manning

It's an especially big trend in country right now. There's an artist whose debut album they've been touting for a year and a half. The first single came out in July of last year. Three pre-release singles since, still no album announcement. I've honestly moved on from even caring. It's such a stupid strategy.

AlwaysEvolving21 and Anthony_ like this.
  23. D_Ream84

Regular

Yes indeed

24. Anthony_

Yeah and like, if something is just a one-off single that's fine, but say so. Like Bayside dropped a song three weeks ago, with no word on whether it's for an album or EP or just a one-off, and when somebody asked them about the response was "Can't we just enjoy this moment?" Like, just be up front about what's happening, people actually care about this stuff.

Dog Fish and Craig Manning like this.
  25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

that bothered me too - if you're about to release an album which will likely come with pre-order packages and a tour announcement, why not give your fans as much notice as possible to save up? people WANT to support/throw money at you

Anthony_ likes this.