Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World Band • Page 336

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by futures, Apr 6, 2016.

1. GBlades

Trusted

See you there!

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  2. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Has there been anything hinted at for the new album? Rough timeframe or anything?

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

We all have our own theories, but I don't believe the band has said anything haha

4. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I always find it really random when there's other people from Scotland on Chorus/AP for some reason! :fist:

It's 3 days after I'm through for Death Cab too, going to be a tiring few days, ha!

5. GBlades

Trusted

Hahaha yeah, from Glasgow myself. It's a severe rarity!

6. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I have my best theory.

Barcara, Omni, Rowan5215 and 2 others like this.
  7. Fox83

Trusted

Futures
    Bleed American
    CTL
    Clarity
    Integrity Blues
    Invented
    Damage
    (Never cared for Static)

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

picked up chase this light today on vinyl for like $13 at my local shop. psyched!

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I neeeed chase this light and invented on wax

Larry David likes this.
  10. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

holy shit this is really happening

11. Hell yeah the wife is stoked.
    D9E1786A-CE52-4CBB-96C1-4FE31BDCA27F.jpeg

12. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

Nothing close enough for me to justify attending, but I suppose that's fine since I'm not a TEB fan. I wonder if the tour starting in June means the album will come out around that time?

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Wouldn't be surprised if they hold off until releasing an album in the fall and then go on their own headliner supporting that. Assuming they're opening all of these dates (and this is not a co-headliner) I'm guessing they'll be sticking to their more popular songs and not really sprinkling in anything new.

I could be way off.

Onlyadirector likes this.
  14. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

What is a Florida?

15. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

A state that got overlooked. But since they aren’t headlining, I’m not too bummed. It kind of increases the chances they will be back here for their next headline tour.

16. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

JEW at The Greek is such a dream. I just wish there would be a longer set involved.

David Parke and irthesteve like this.
  17. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

I feel like this is the likely route they'll take. I don't 100% doubt they'll release a single sometime in the summer to play on the tour, though.

18. DesolateEarth

Birb

I dunno. It sounds like they are finished with their new album at this point. I'm gonna go ahead and predict a single in the spring, album out in the summer while they tour with 3EB, and then the tour supporting it in the fall.

19. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

I’ve wanted to see them since IB released because that’s around the time I “discovered” them, and Florida feels like it’s elusive to them. Haha.

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I can’t remember the last time JEW headlined a show in San Diego. Probably Futures 10 year. That’s my guess.

If they were here headlining for IB then i somehow missed it.

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I just find it hard to believe that a band as celebrated and respected as JEW would release an album and instead of their own headliner to support it, they would choose to open for a band like...Third Eye Blind. No disrespect to third eye blind, I could maybe understand if they got some crazy offer to open for a legendary act and it was something too good to pass up but because they won’t be playing a typical headliner set, it wouldn’t really make sense to release the album until after this tour.

I could see them sprinkle in a new song for this set. Like, TBS opened for Dashboard in 16 (when Tidal Wave was done) but they held off releasing Tidal Wave until after that summer tour but played the Tidal Wave single on the Dashboard tour.

22. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

They seem to actually not skip us which is nice cause for a while there all the artists I wanted to see were skipping the pnw entirely or just playing Seattle. I was able to catch them three times for integrity blues. Pdx, Boise, and Spokane iirc, super rare that ever happens

23. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Pretty sure they hit SD for that tour. The IB Tour was a massive one.

24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

They played Wrex The Halls festival during that tour. All the other West Coast dates were headliner shows.

25. teel Jan 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 26, 2019)
    teel

Regular

See the thing is Third Eye Blind has actually kind of become a legacy act that is hard to pass up.

As someone old enough to have experienced their breakthrough in 1997, I cannot overstate how ubiquitous the band was on their first album (6x platinum, 5 singles). All it took was a couple years and a follow up album that most of the fans didn't respond to, and they basically disappeared from the mainstream.

I myself only really realized 3EB still existed when they somehow slowly started to have a revival with the absolutepunk crowd, i.e. those beginning to age out of early 2000s pop-punk/emo. Combine that with the nostalgia factor of their first wave of fans, and they seemingly have been able to build themselves back up to a very solid touring business, surely in no small part to very smart co-headline tour pairings with the likes of Dashboard Confessional, Silversun Pickups, and now Jimmy Eat World.

Jimmy Eat World is actually not super dissimilar to 3EB, in that they had a similarly massive breakthrough album a few years later (Bleed American) that they never could match commercial success wise. Only difference is JEW never reached the same height of popularity of 3EB (BA sold 1.6 million), and also never really disappeared from the mainstream.

While JEW's popularity has maintained very modest, they are still at a level and age where they can still benefit from smart moves to help get in front of new faces and/or regain interest. 3EB is a perfect pairing, as like I said above, their crowd has 2 very distinct segments. I could see JEW translating well to the 97 3EB fans who may be unfamiliar. As for the late 2000s 3EB fans, perhaps they just need to be reminded how great JEW is.

As for a new album, I agree with @DesolateEarth, this feels like a setup tour, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop a new a single before this tour starts, leading up to the album release and tour late summer/early fall.

Side note in thinking of JEW's career trajectory, it reminds me of the co-headline tour with Paramore circa Chase This Light. Obviously JEW was still popular enough where closing a co-headline arena tour made sense, but just looking at the crowd at the show, it was easy to see that Paramore was the future and JEW was the past. Hayley clones everywhere.