Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World / The Hotelier / Microwave / The Struts / Alex Lahey Tour • Page 6

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by JaytotheGee, Dec 4, 2017.

1. sayitaintjoe

Really curious to what people thought about Monday night in Boston. It was my 6th time seeing them and I actually ended up leaving early. I couldn't believe how bad it sounded! I'm not sure if they were playing amp-less last year when they played in Portland, ME, but whatever happened Monday night was really rugged. I think the sound guy had a rough night.

I was pretty much in the middle of the floor right in front of the soundboard. I found that the vocal mix was really bad, like...too hot and dry maybe? The mix of Jim and the backup vocals was definitely off. I also found that I couldn't really pick up Tom's guitar or Rick's bass at all and when Jim would play, it overpowered everything. When the big parts would hit I feel like there wasn't much punch or low end - it was just kind of mids and highs and loud, hard to distinguish anything. The softer melodic parts (like Polaris for example) were slightly better but overall it just didn't sound right to me. Honestly, it was one of the worst sounding shows I've seen in years. I was really, really bummed.

I am trying to figure out if it was where I was standing, the no amp thing, the sound guy, the room, me being an idiot or a mix of things. As I said, they were absolute fire the last 5 times I saw them.

2. EarthShifts

Trusted

I was off to the left and I thought it sounded really good overall. Now that you say it though, there were definitely a couple times where I couldn’t make out Toms guitar at all. I actually thought it cut out or something. There was one song that it was very noticeable and I can’t remember which one.

It might also be that I’m just used to less than stellar sound at shows. Haha. So many local shows over the years and you can never make out the vocals, so to be able to discern anything always feels like a step above the rest.

3. oldboot

Regular

Having been at both shows, I thought they sounded infinitely better in Portland. I didn't they sounded awful in Boston, but they were absolutely spot-on at the Aura show.

sayitaintjoe likes this.
  4. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

Went to the past three shows in a row (Boston and both Brooklyn) and goddamn does JEW bring it every single night. Still can't believe they played No Sensitivity last night, never thought I'd see that one.

Got shut out at merch last night with everything I wanted being sold out but waited by the exit with a friend so she could meet the band and I guess they had a bunch of show posters left over so they just gave them away. Gotta love free merch!

EarthShifts likes this.
  5. oldboot

Regular

I already really regret not getting a poster at the Boston show!

6. SPine

Trusted

I've been skipping out on so many shows this year.. Had a ticket to the cleveland show last night and was too tired. Guess this is growing up

7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I was just thinking about whether or not you ended up going :(

8. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, I posted in the JEW thread earlier today that I wanted to go so bad, but I had to drive 5 hours back from Kentucky yesterday from a bachelor party and I was dead by like 5 p.m.

bachna84 likes this.
  10. SPine

Trusted

Yeah I should have :\
    I'm going to a wedding on Friday. Partly why I didn't end up going. I know I'll be kicking myself for not going

11. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I really wish they hit Philly during this tour