Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World - Surviving (October 18, 2019) Album • Page 114

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

That would be awesome. I've been trying to make an effort to consciously not think about the b-sides because this album is fantastic, and it really does deceivingly cover a lot of ground musically and idea wise.

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is a very good point. To be honest, I don't really pay attention to the music scene or business like I used to. I follow when bands I like are going to release something, but that is the extent of it, and this mindset is absolutely from back when I used to really follow and pay attention to things.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I usually assume that there aren't b-sides, unless told otherwise. Always possible that an artist will decide to save a song for later rather than release it in an earlier form that didn't make the album. It sounds like they'd had "Congratulations" for awhile, for instance, but that it wasn't fully fleshed out until the sessions for this album. And I always think back to "Stop," which was a Chase This Light b-side that they ended up going back to.

I also think it's rarer nowadays for artists to record a ton of stuff and then end up shaping the album from there. Recording is so expensive and album sales are so bad that I think more artists/bands are going into the studio with the album already mapped out, versus record 20-30 songs and then picking 12-15 for a record.

SpyKi, troyplaysbass and Brother Beck like this.
  4. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

David Parke likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

That clip of Jim talking about how many songs they worked on suggests bsides exist. Because this bands bsides are better than some bands albums, I think people are curious. I know it’s kind of split and we discussed this already, but some people would have liked a longer album (although both schools of album lengths have been discussed already so let’s not revisit that).

6. D_Ream84

Regular

Sorry to be greedy but JEW are a band that has always put b-sides in with the record or along with a single! We could add half heart to that I suppose but at the same time I imagine they have hold on them maybe for future release or a kind of Stay On My Side Tonight EP

.K. likes this.
  7. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Can't believe My Chemical Romance are having them along for some shows. I think this is perfect exposure!

David Parke likes this.
  8. abcdefg123, snick and JRGComedy like this.
  9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Listened to this in full on my commute in today. Every song on this album is great, a couple of them are next level even, but the album does still feel short to me.

.K. likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

I really haven't wanted to spin anything else on vinyl lately. I think this is my favorite album of the year. It's just about perfect.

jordalsh, JRGComedy and Brother Beck like this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

its between this, diiv, and oso oso for me. those three are all about equal and way above anything else from this year

12. Iago

forbidden chalice.

This is def my AOTY but I haven't been paying much attention to other releases this year. Went on a bit of a music binge hiatus the last year and only recently have been actively listening to new things.

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This year is gonna be tough for me. A ton of my favorite bands have released albums and The Dangerous Summer might be sitting at the top right now

David Parke likes this.
  14. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

“Diamond” has grown on me mostly because the verses are so good (still dislike the chorus though)

“Love Never” is really cementing itself as the song I enjoy the least on here. It’s not bad, but I just don’t get anything from it unlike the rest of the album.

15. socklord

Trusted

Love Never fucking rocks

mmhmm, Greg and Leftandleaving like this.
  16. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I like the album version of 555, but seeing it live is on another level. Conversely, All the Way would've been a little better with the sax and female vocals.

David Parke likes this.
  17. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

diamond top 10 jimmy eat world song hot take

Lucas27, Anthony Brooks and Greg like this.
  18. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Don't believe them if they try to sell you something quicker

elphshelf, chewbacca110 and Greg like this.
  19. Craig Manning

"Diamond" rips so hard throughout, and then somehow rips even harder on the bridge.

Greg, Lucas27, Anthony Brooks and 2 others like this.
  20. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

They were so good last night in Madison. Seeing One Mil live gave me a new appreciation for that song.

Argus likes this.
  21. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

very mild take

Greg, DesolateEarth and Lucas27 like this.
  23. socklord

Trusted

Anyone ever realize how much takes and wings are a lot alike?

Doomsday, DesolateEarth and jordalsh like this.
  24. abcdefg123

Regular

It's still a bit too new for me to decide but I could eventually see it falling into my top 30, which says a lot since I think they have a perfect discography.

25. Lucas27

Trusted

It’s becoming one of my favorite songs of the year period.

abcdefg123 likes this.