Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World Release Deluxe ‘Futures’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

A “deluxe” version of Jimmy Eat World’s Futures is now up on streaming services featuring demos, rare songs, and new masters of other tracks.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Hopefully this gets a deluxe triple vinyl release like Bleed American did. Annoyed that it doesn't include Shame (Demo), When I Want (Demo), and You (Demo), like the Japanese deluxe 2CD set did. Nice that they included Yer Feet though.

Anyone know if the whole album is remastered or just the bonus tracks on disc 3? I'd assume the whole thing but maybe not.

mybreakingpoint and paythetab like this.
  3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I'll tell ya what, as someone who can usually care less about demo versions, b-side tracks, etc., if there's one album i'd request a deluxe for it's this one

4. It's honestly insane to me how Shame isn't an album track. Jimmy Eat World B-sides are always frustratingly good.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  5. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Why have they yet to release "Jen" officially? I understand that song didn't fit with the album thematically (probably was a bit TOO close to "The Middle") but still a jam.

Pepetito, stijn_p and Anarchivist like this.
  6. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Years ago Jim posted on the forum that when they sent out the promo advance CDs, somebody from Men Without Hats (or their management, I forget) heard the song and thought it sounded like their own song "Pop Goes The World". The band didn't want to risk being sued so they left it off just in case. The songs do sound a little similar in parts to be fair but I doubt it was intentional. Probably doesn't help that one of the people sung about in the MWH song is called Jenny.

Hear both songs below:

Wish they would legit release the song on CD someday, along with the demo version of it, which was way different. Same goes for Big Cars, so many unfinished/unreleased songs :(

mybreakingpoint likes this.
  7. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

What I always find interesting about Jimmy Eat World demos compared to other band's demos is the amount of differences between the demo and the album version. For most bands, album versions just seem like more produced versions of the demo with a little change here and there. I think JEW's strength is in editing themselves. Lyrics, guitar riffs, drums, vocal delivery - they really seem to sit with their demos and figure out how to perfect them, even if it means making big changes.

8. satellitexyears

Death Touches Us, From the Moment we Begin to Love Supporter

I remember I downloaded Futures from whatever file sharing service I was using (Soulseek I think) and had a burned cd with "Jen" as track 6. It was my favorite track off it at the time. Then I bought the deluxe cd the day it came out and was bummed that it wasn't on the album!

Analog Drummer and palebluedot like this.
  9. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Ah thanks for the insight. They should totally release it, even if it means applying songwriting credit to Men Without Hats. Not like they're foregoing a bunch of royalties since at this point since it's been so long.

10. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

Great insight on this. I definitely hear the similarities but like you I doubt it was intentional.

I am bummed that I already have these tracks but am stocked to have them available on Spotify now. The demo of Just Tonight and You are a couple of my favorite JEW recordings.

11. noisyneighbour

their drummer Zach was answering some questions on Instagram today or yesterday and confirmed the same MWH story. bummer, but it’s not like Jen isn’t out there, just not on spotify.

futures will always be, for me, the most perfect example of an album that stands up over time. if it came out today, I would still the songwriting/production/mix/everything is incredible.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely holds up no problem.

13. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Pretty interesting to get through some of those demos - so different. Agree with the opinion a lot of the goodness comes in the editing process, it's fantastic.