Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World Interview with Billboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jim Adkins of Jimmy Eat World talked with Billboard about their upcoming album:

On the acoustic part of the intro to [Surviving] song “One Mil,” I really wanted something spontaneous that wasn’t your typical studio setup. I went into the garage of our studio, set my phone down, did the part, and when I dumped it into the session, it sounded really good. The microphone on your phone is probably $300 or more — the research and cost is insane. I had to mess it up after I dumped it in, because it sounded too good.

So when Davey [Havok] was stressing about getting to a studio I was like, “No, no, no. Put headphones on, set your phone down, sing it, and just send that to me.” That’s what he did and that’s what’s on the record… I can totally see how there are Soundcloud rappers who have never seen an XLR cable, pumping out platinum hits now.

2. Eml182

Regular

The best part:

Your new single "All The Way (Stay)" has a big sax solo -- how did that fit into the process?

We always wanted to try this gag that happens a lot in '80s music: you get to the end of the song and then this ripping solo of something that hasn't yet appeared in the song just kicks in and then it fades out.

fredwordsmith and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  3. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Reviews for this are really good, especially @Jason Tate's from the supporter Chorus newsletter. Perfect time of year for new JEW.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

@Jason Tate just wanna point out they did a long-form interview on Chris Hardwick's podcast, ID10T, with a performance at the end. ;)

5. I do not.

6. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

This is a great read and my love for this band is eternal.

7. Conor Oberst

555 is such a departure from anything they've put out, and it is genuinely outstanding. I can't get over how incredible it is.

8. Talas

Easily my favorite song on the album which is really saying something seeing how perfectly incredible the whole album is. I knew it was a favorite when they previewed it at there show in AZ a few weeks ago.