Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jimmy Eat World – “Sure and Certain” • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Without reading any other comments; I love the fuzzier guitars, and the chorus is stuck in my head after 1 listen and I loved the vibe of the whole song.

However Jim's vocals were pretty low in the mix and tough to make out at times. Maybe Youtube is slightly to blame, but I'm pretty sure that is just the mix.

2. TheNateM Aug 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2016)
    TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

Im getting the same feeling I got when Work came out. Just feels like this could be one of those types of albums from JEW which has me pumped.

Edit: I get that Futures was out for a long time before Work came out as a 2nd single, but due to the way albums are rolled out these days its different. In my head Get Right was a lead single like Pain was since they both were on the heavier side.

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, Get Right was just fine. This song, though.

THIS SONG

4. DooDooBird

Trusted

Man, I enjoyed that song so much better than that first one they released.

5. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like it's missing something to really kick it into the next gear, not really a single...

NewSurrender likes this.
  6. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Echoing all the "holy shit that instrumental bridge" sentiments. I was digging the track, really enjoyed the verse melody and the chorus was pretty catchy. But that bridge leading into the final chorus? That's some straight up Jimmy Eat World magic right there. Elevates the whole song.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  7. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Luckily it's not ours to say what can be a single, and what not, that would be boring and heading us back to the days when labels would choose songs that would be more first-listener-friendly. So far it's 2/2 for me as well, love that sound and the songs are really strong in my opinion.

8. chcougar1

Trusted

9. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Lowborn and the first album were inconsistent and sorta poor.

10. Jake Z

Regular

I enjoy the first one more, but this is very good, too.

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Not a chance. I like Anberlin, but I don't think they have a single album that is consistently great, let alone a catalog that is as consistently great on an album-for-album, song-for-song basis.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The 1975, without a doubt.

13. I'm talking bands that have been around for as long as JEW and have proven that they can continue to kill it with every release. 1975 rules, but they're so much younger.

14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, The 1975 won't even be in the conversation for another three or four albums. Stringing together two great albums is much easier than what JEW has managed to accomplish since Clarity.

15. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Valid. Also if you include the stuff under different monikers, some of it's not good.

So deftones if you exclude the first record.

Craig Manning likes this.
  16. jorbjorb

7 rings

1975 is a good band but shouldn't be mentioned next to jew. just no.

Jake Z likes this.
  17. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Why limit yourself like that tho

18. fran.182

Regular Prestigious

Not their typical lead single. "Get Right", being so "punchy", felt more like that. This is superior in every manner, though. Outstanding song, I was in love after my first listen...

Need tracklist, album cover and songs' length asap. Hoping for an epic closer.

19. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Song is fantastic but it feels like it ends so abruptly after that buildup.

20. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

This song was chill and I liked it.

21. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I've been obsessed with this song. Amazing work here. The might be my most anticipated album now (still?).

22. chcougar1

Trusted

I dunno. I thought NTFP, Cities and Vital were pretty darn consistent and strong. Lowborn wasn't great but it was good. Invented or whatever JEWs last release was isn't perfect either. (Cut me some slack. I'm tired and can't remember everything right now)

23. chcougar1

Trusted

I just realize I've never heard Jimmy Eat World's first album. I probably should be in this discussion thread haha

24. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Anberlin is legitimately great - I really don't think they put out a bad album. Cities is a classic, NTFP is basically as good as it, and Dark and Devotion are both super underrated. I even loved Lowborn. And funny enough, I actually saw the Futures tour and Anberlin's farewell on the same road trip.

That said - Anberlin is a great band. But they're just nowhere near JEW. That's not an insult to Anberlin; JEW is just essentially without equal.