Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

JetSmarter Tries To Extort Positive Coverage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

T.C. Sottek, writing for The Verge:

We’ve seen plenty of aggressive requests from companies that want positive coverage, but perhaps none as absurd as what we just got from JetSmarter — a startup that’s been called the “Uber for private jets.” In exchange for a demonstration of the service (a round-trip flight in the US), JetSmarter sent us an agreement that demands an uncritical puff piece.

The rub? JetSmarter wanted the credit card number of a Verge reporter, so that it could charge them $2,000 if they didn’t publish a positive story “within 5 business days.”

Bold. I’ve never had a band or PR person try that.

2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

JetSmarter is a wonderful company and would never do anything like this. That is absurd, The Verge is out of line.

*cancels credit card*

Chase Tremaine and Jason Tate like this.
  3. I'm not sure if this is hilarious, ridiculous, or just sad.

4. Fucking Dustin

Although a band or PR person hasn't done it, I'd love to take bets on what AP presences would be most likely to do it

I'd put $2000 of a Verge reporter's money on Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

Petit nain des Îles and FTank like this.
  5. Ice Nine Kills.

6. Fucking Dustin

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Cody Payne, or Taking Back Sunday.

8. My Vitriol

Who ? Well they're a shoegaze/alt rock band who are some of the scammiest persons I've ever seen. Look at their facebook page, at their pledge campaign, and most importantly, at their threads on Drowned In Sound. How can you be so shitty to your fans ?