Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jesse Lacey Releases a Statement • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Eml182

Regular

This is really bad.

Lostprophets was an abomination of the human race and that lead singer should not have the right to live.

What I fear is going to happen is these situations will saturate and we’ll be immune to them.

bradpetrik and Brent like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

ONTD, Gawker et al so far have been on the money so I trust them

bradpetrik, Kiana and Brent like this.
  3. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$&$$$$$$

4. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I've seen a few people mention legal action. I wouldn't think so with only having the one woman so far coming forward due to the statute of limitations in NY (correct me if I'm wrong, law people). But of course, more people might come forward since it seems like it's been an ongoing and chronic occurrence.

5. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I will say this much: I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that everything in this is true. I can accept that this statement accurately reflects how Jesse feels, and that he truly is remorseful for the person he was and is trying to be better.

But.

The same thing that caused the issue at hand - his abuse of power - is what's allowing him to ignore the issue itself (his sexual abuse of a child). I'm willing to believe he simply doesn't understand why what he did IS so heinous, because the frame of mind that puts a person in a position to think that a 15 year old can be a sex object is the same frame of mind that disregards and ignores who she is now. He can ignore this, because the world we have created has allowed people like him to ignore their victims. That has to stop.

And it stops by holding him accountable, calling a spade a spade, and recognizing that Brand New - the human beings, and the band - were, and are, a force for harm and abuse and oppression in this world. Their platform was used to hurt people. That's their story - that's who they are. And by treating them in kind, we help ensure that the next Brand New and the next Jesse Lacey don't see the world, and other human beings, and their band, in quite the same way. And the next Brand New and Jesse Lacey can be a force for good.

It doesn't matter whether we can enjoy their music anymore (I can't, but that's just me). What matters most is that we not only make sure that Jesse's victims are cared for and listened to and supported, and that we work hard to make sure that that the next generation of potential victims aren't taken advantage of by the next Jesse Lacey.

This is such a bigger problem than one dude in one band or one industry. So by all means, I hope Jesse gets the help he needs to never do this again, whether he gets it or not. But it's far more important, I think, to see and address the systemic issues that allow Jesse to do what he did. And that's way bigger than whether or not any of us are still fans of the band.

6. I'm 26. I just don't think I can buy that someone roughly my age could look at a 15 year old and not understand that it's wrong.

I also don't buy that a man in his 40's doesn't understand that it was wrong now. I understand what you're getting at but I'm just not comfortable absolving him of that by blaming this entirely on society.

This is very complex and I'm not intending to attack you, because I totally get what you're saying and where you're coming from @AshlandATeam - I just had to say that.

7. I did some research and it looks like this same info was stated dating back to 2008 as public. I know FBG was never considered the best source, but at the time people were also very quick to defend bands and friends.
    Livejournal Post: for the anons on the post underneath me

While hearing victims stories is always heartbreaking, I'm glad recent events have shown more people standing in solidarity rather than writing them off like in years past.

ship90 and Turkeylegz like this.
  8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This is rough.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  9. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Him not addressing the underage accusations is how he'll stay out of jail which in turn is him not admitting it but instead just going "okay, I'm garbage - woe is me." I stand with the victim and while I do hope Jesse has changed as a person and continues to get help - I hope the victim can heal in time. No one should ever have to go through this and it sucks seeing someone I had admired so much turn out to be someone completely different than what they presented to the public. His actions have spoken for him. His bed is made. His victims have to live with this as well does his family. This one hurts me and I feel selfish for saying that because I can't imagine how the victim(s) feels. The hurt they've been living with is unimaginable for me.

10. AshlandATeam

Trusted

That's totally valid, and you're in all likelihood more right about how you read his statement than me. I guess what I was meaning to say is it doesn't matter what Jesse thinks or doesn't think; what matters is how we care for his victims, and how we move forward. At least the latter matters way more than the former. I definitely don't mean to absolve him of anything.

coleslawed, fenway89 and Anna Acosta like this.
  11. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Well it's a start... Hopefully he realizes he has a lot more apologizing to do.

CMilliken likes this.
  12. acousticlight

Brand new has been my favorite band for over a decade. But after learning of this behavior I’ll never listen to them again. At the end of the day, no music is more important than the rights of victims to feel safe and validated.

There’s plenty of great music that hasn’t been made by abusers. I’ve listened to brand new every day for years, but that’s over now. I hope this is the end for Brand New. It’s the only appropriate way to deal with this situation. Now I’m just debating if I should throw away my vinyl or sell them.

crunchprank and Jason Tate like this.
  13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I haven't even heard anything about Pete Wentz... I remember the dick pic thing but that wasn't connected to any sexual harassment/abuse was it? No idea about Hurley

Also this is a fucking trash statement. I thought he might at least try to drop his pretentiousness for this but nope. Not a single acknowledgement of the victim or even what he did

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Muzick

I am so glad regardless of all the shit coming out lately around the world, I am well equipped as a human to differentiate art from artist.

Stevangelion likes this.
  15. Muzick

Why? What should he have said?

Stevangelion likes this.
  16. Muzick

Why?what should he do at this point? Is he now dead to society?

17. Yeah you should stop.

18. Did you have a point, or are you just here to pat yourself on the back for your superior ability to disregard moral dilemmas? Because if so, you've done a great job. Absolutely nailed it.

CAC3, littlejohn, mercury and 9 others like this.
  19. acousticlight

this is definitely not about you

fenway89 likes this.
  20. Muzick

It’s one thing to answer to something that happened YEARS ago when both (or more) parties are now much older and mature, and to see both sides. Not saying he didn’t do anything wrong, but to crucify someone for something someone did when they were much younger (and immature) and also the other party potentially playing and encouraging this behavior, but it is a shitty thing to crucify an individual for something done years ago when acknowledged now when it comes to light is something someone needs to move on with the world. If not what’s the point, kill yourself because people will hate you forever becaus you’re not perfect? No, and fuck this internet witch hunt culture.

Stevangelion likes this.
  21. She was 15 you weirdo.

22. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

I can feel the ban hammer coming

23. OpenIntro

llama llama

Ban hammer time.

Dirty Sanchez and atticusfinch like this.
  24. Muzick

Instead of piling on, I’m asking legit questions about the venom fucking up our society st the moment. You should try the same.

25. acousticlight

You’ve gotta be fucking kidding me. I’m 26 years old and I’ve never engaged in that type of behavior with a 15 year old. Just because he sort of apologized doesn’t mean he gets away without consequences. You obviously have some messed up priorities.

finnyscott and fenway89 like this.