Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jesse Lacey Releases a Statement • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Jesse, Nobody cares about any of this. Stfu. We don't care that youre an adulterer. It makes you an ass but nobody is fixating on that. Nobody would care if your coping mechanisms were with ADULTS WHO WERE ABLE TO CONSENT.

2. jackludwick

Jack

Fuck what I said, I do know how I feel about this. Angry, disappointed, and upset barely touch the actual feelings. The lack of a true apology is now so blindingly apparent to me and its incredibly disappointing. The lack of a true acknowledgment is also very obvious.
    I don't know if this band will ever mean as much to me as it has in the past. It's hard to truly address how I feel about that now, and will be for a while.

3. I mean... chronic adultery/cheating is abuse and morally reprehensible, but I agree with the intent of this.

4. Kiana

I don't disagree. I'm commenting on how he's apologizing for something that is not the reason he's being drug thru the mud. He's responding as if the allegations are that he cheated on his wife when that is not the main problem here. It's not the issue. It's an issue, but his deflection with it is a mess and disrespectful to the victim and his family

5. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

First off, I agree with all that is being said on here. This shit has been happening way too much and got me thinking. Is it possible to like a band/music and separate the actions of the members from the music itself? Personally I can't listen to lost prophets anymore at all but never liked them as much as brand new. Can you still listen to brand new after this? It's hard for the music to stand on its own because it brings some many other thoughts and feelings with it.

6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

This is disgusting. His wife is a saint, and he is not deserving of having someone like her in his life. He has been the definition of toxic to women. What a piece of work.

jackludwick likes this.
  7. jackludwick

Jack

Its hard to say for me. I firmly disagree with the phrase "separating the art from the artist" when used as a conscious retaliation or excuse for someone to not feel bad about listening to songs they like. For me, and I'm sure for you as well, a lot of these songs have transcended being "Brand New" songs and are things in my life that are more mine than theirs. I identify them as things in my life that I can almost guarantee I cannot lose or give up, though maybe I wish I could.

CMilliken and Bayside 182 like this.
  8. Can only speak for me, but this isn't something I'll be able to answer for quite a while. Hours isn't enough to process it and come to any conclusion.

9. campeondeluniverso

nah.

that’s what i was thinking about yesterday. many people, including myself, still like New Found Glory after the Steve Klein stuff.

CMilliken and Bayside 182 like this.
  10. Kiana

Everyone has their own line to draw, but personally I think anyone who makes the step to contribute to these people financially are doing harm. I have a difficult time enjoying the media of predators but I see how others separate it out. Supporting them with their coins tho, I don't get that.

CoffeeEyes17 and Bayside 182 like this.
  11. okayibelieveyou

Tam Rogic CSC Prestigious

I just want to comment that anyone making the comparison between this and lost prophets really need to read up on the lost prophets thing again. Vulgar situation and the comparison is not warranted at all. Ian Watkins is currently serving a long prison sentence for the severity of that crime. Awful.

mattylikesfilms and Stevangelion like this.
  12. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

their music is tainted but I can't imagine I'll stop listening to it. not gonna be giving them money for merch or shows though.

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think it's hard to separate art from artist because they usually use their art to address their "demons" which certainly seems to to be the case for Jesse, as is this case when I listen to a R Kelly song or watch a Woody Allen movie

Bayside 182 likes this.
  14. "Can you still listen to brand new after this?" is a question only each individual can answer. This is what I can tell you:

- If you publicly own continuing to listen to Brand New after this, expect to have this brought up.
    - If the above happens, acknowledge it. Don't obfuscate, or defend it.
    - Understand that publicly admiring the band from this point on will cause pain. That isn't your fault - but it's something that will become yours to own if you choose to listen publicly.

What you do privately in your own earbuds is your business, and you'll have to decide for yourself what you can and can't abide by. I still listen to the Beatles. I still listen to Fall Out Boy. But I'll never defend Lennon. I'll never defend Hurley or Wentz. It's personal.

15. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

This sucks

Jesse should probably be in jail tbh, cause he did something that warrants jail time.

bradpetrik, Dirty Sanchez and Brent like this.
  16. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Fuck him.

bradpetrik, Dirty Sanchez and Brent like this.
  17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I’ll bite, what did Andy Hurly do? I haven’t heard about that one.

CAC3, Colby Searcy and Brent like this.
  18. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

I would begrudge someone who can listen to a band beyond. I grew up around Lennon and Michael Jackson fans... if you can or cant seperate the art from the artists thats on the listener long as you can identify the actions as wrong.
    That said... its not really a white knight case... even if the music did mean so much to so many.

19. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I loved LP. I seriously LOVE BN but this is dead as of now. This is I found my wife cheating on me level shit. BN is dead to me. Yes I realize it’s more than Jesse but no way I can continue to listen/support this band regardless of if he is the lead or not. Bye bye.

Bayside 182 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  20. Not my story to tell. As far as I know, the person who told it to me hasn't made anything public knowledge and I don't have the right to do it for her. I just mentioned him because he's not much better than his bandmate and it feels really disingenuous to leave that out.

Colby Searcy, bradpetrik and fenway89 like this.
  21. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Fair enough, I understand.

22. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Okay, so this strikes me as Jesse acknowledging (without directly owning up to) that he sexually abused a minor. Which he then goes on to "explain" as being the result of personality flaws and/or sex addiction.

My intial thoughts:
    1 - Most serial killers probably have their own set of psychological disorders. This doesn't change the fact that they fucking killed people. Same here. Boo hoo, sex addiction, but you still sexually abused a minor. Ignore the fact that she was a minor--you still fucked up someone for life.

2 - Is there going to be legal action? I hope so. We're living in a unique moment in time where we can set an example and show men that they can't just sexually abuse/harass/assault others and then apologize when they get caught and nothing of consequence comes of it. With the world watching, we need to show people that if you do these things, you're a fucking predator, it won't be tolerated, and your ass is going to jail.

23. Kiana

I know it's just ontd, but if you read the comments about this on there Andy Hurley is brought up

bradpetrik and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  24. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Exactly my thoughts on this. We live in a reactionary society. This is not something any of us can afford to be reactionary about from a holistic view of the band.

We already went through this with Bill Cosby. For me, I can’t watch or listen to his comedy anymore, but there was a period of sadness and grief and loss. Each time this happens, the variable is the level of a personal connection to the situation. It feels like losing a friend or a family member when something a person previously believed innocent or pure is twisted and morally/ethically destroyed for that person.

No one has more of a sense of this than the victims of course. We are all going to deal with a sense of loss and death of something with this band.

It seems the only constant in life is that we never stop losing innocence in an aspect of life.

Toner likes this.
  25. Kiana

I feel a lot for his wife. The situation has just been reminding me of my abusive past situation all day long. It's so painful to love someone who is abusive and when they have an addiction u just want to love them and help them thru it. I remember wishing and hoping so hard that if I helped with his addiction that he'd be okay and we'd be happy, and it took a long time to realize that he wasn't an awful toxic person because of his addiction - he was an awful person who also happened to have an addiction. I hope his family is getting all the love and support in the world. I feel like I've made this a bit about me all day but it's been affecting me in unexpected ways.