Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jeff Rosenstock - POST- (January 1st, 2018) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

holy fuck, with martha and bad moves? what a tour.

VanMastaIteHab and JaytotheGee like this.
  3. cwhit

[​IMG]

Joe4th likes this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

cot damn SF gets Hotelier too

5. cwhit

it's part of this festival thing, bunch of cool shows

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Nowhere near me, bummer. He'll be back tho

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yes! Idk what the Logan Square Auditorium is though... interesting.

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I wish I got the Chris and Laura combo here

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

"From there, Rosenstock dashes off a handful of tracks that are just as hooky as anything found on his previous albums, but the songs here are far more adventurous, with layers of melodies swelling up and commanding attention from the background. "

Disagree

10. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Not familiar with Bad Moves, but I’ll hit up the last date of the tour.

11. cwhit

This is one of my favorite songs of 2016

JaytotheGee likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Still attempting to follow the Twitter/Cheap Girls situation and from what I can gather, Jeff impulsively blocked people yesterday as a result of his anxiety/mental health stuff and regretted it and tried to reach out to those folks. Re: him keeping the records on his store/not saying anything about it, those conversations appear to remain in private. The initial person who called Jeff a "rape apologist" claims that they regret saying such a thing because there is more nuance to the story, but overall thinks the post should be kept up to see the dialogue that took place. They also mentioned waiting to hear from the victim of the abuse who is still processing the situation.

All very messy and I still don't get behind whatever happened in terms of Jeff still selling CG records on his site/not saying anything; however, the situation with blocking people on twitter makes a bit more sense now, especially since his entire discography deals with his anxiety and depression and mental health issues. Not an excuse, but it makes more sense than attempting to silence people speaking out. Seems to be a lot of behind the scenes/grey area stuff that no one feels comfortable talking about in public. Whatever the case, I hope that Jeff makes it right with the victim of the abuse, and I really hope that he did not continue to profit off of the CG albums after the situation was exposed. The silence bothers me the most.

13. Jim

Trusted Supporter

ive been twice, its just a big room that doesn't have a set stage or anything. almost feels like a small school gym haha

KidLightning and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  14. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

thanks for the update on this, I'm trying to follow on twitter too but it's a little difficult finding the right replies and tweets and all. this puts less of a bad taste in my mouth in comparison to IIOI. agreed on the silence being bothersome.

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. cwhit

this is also a pretty shaky case but the people in the music scene who immediately dropped pinegrove/IIOI/etc haven't really changed opinion of jeff, which might mean something too

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I see people calling this "Performative bullshit" and I can't really get behind that seeing as 99% of what Jeff has done is remain silent or speak in public, lol. The DMing people thing is weird but he doesn't want to speak on it in public and I don't know what other thing he can do. Some people have made up their minds regarding this situation from the moment it dropped, so every step he takes will be critiqued.

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Hmm sounds interesting at least. Should be a great time, no matter what.

18. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

yeah, this weirdly describes me. I feel like I've made up my mind regarding this situation (to continue supporting Jeff) super quickly and I'm still struggling with the IIOI situation (I haven't listened to him since everything broke). and their actions seem at least somewhat similar - although the comments from Evan are more damning.

maybe this is a better discussion for the Accountability in Music thread, but it's just something that I'm struggling with.

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Forreal tho, people, if you're into Jeff's solo records and haven't checked out BTMI yet (of have only copped Vacation), do that immediately.

20. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

to be real, the amount of money Jeff was making off whatever Cheap Girls sales there were was probably pocket change. i would imagine it's more of a friendship thing with the other dudes in the band, which is arguably just as bad as it being for the money.

overall the big difference here is Jeff has made a career out of creating safe spaces before safe space was a buzzword. he's preached love and acceptance since the beginning and has always led by his own example. he entered this situation with a career of good faith where most other dudes recently entered similar situation with nothing but shitty songs about being bitter girls didn't like them. it's easy to go easier on him.

21. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I really enjoy “TV Stars” and “9/10.”

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I think we can safely stop talking about this and definitely stop calling him a "rape apologist" now and just focus on all the good he is doing

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  24. radiodead

Trusted

Album is great. Agreed with most of the thread consensus “USA”, “Yr Throat”, and “9/10” are beauties. But this is great top to bottom. Also really love “TV Stars”

smowashere likes this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It's weird to view this as a proper album since there's only 9 songs, too much to be an EP but there's not a track on here that I don't like so it could have been longer but with songs that would be fillers.