Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Such a brilliant composing duo, those two. Just genius

2. murrich

I really do love jazz but my knowledge is so limited, I mainly started listening to it because of hip hop (groups like Digable Planets and us3).
    So far I have just been going through a lot of the classics like Dizzy Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Davis, Coltrane, Duke Ellington, etc. My favourite jazz record I've heard so far would probably be Pres and Teddy by Lester Young and Teddy Wilson.
    If anyone has any suggestions on where to go next I would love to hear it!

3. Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

This followed those for me.

4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

"In Movement" is a hell of an album

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I went through the stuff on the OP and am trying to broaden my horizons and I've listened to A Love Supreme like 3 or 4 times and i like it a lot but there is so much to it that it's kind of wildly intimidating. I am thinking jazz will not be as straight forward as "liking" or "not liking" but i think that's pretty cool. Anyway A Love Supreme is really cool and I don't even miss guitars. I'll probably listen to it a few more times before I move on to another album, probably another Coltrane or maybe Bill Evans since I hear good things about him.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Check out some of the bitches brew era of miles' with John McLaughlin on guitar, or maybe John Scofield, pat metheny, Ben monder.

There's some great guitar jazz out there. Dave Stryker is one of my favorites.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Listened to Solo Monk for the first time yesterday and it's pretty special. I probably prefer Monk's Dream, but his versatility is insane

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

will do. seems like guitar in jazz is just less prominent in general, but i like that about jazz. everything is so new and interesting as a result of this. can't wait to listen to this stuff though.

9. cshadows2887

Things I found to be good entry points for myself:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain
    Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    Theloniois Monk - Monk's Dream
    Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Also the whole bossa nova thing is a nice way in so if that seems like your jam, can't go wrong with:

Getz/Jilberto
    Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave

Ken and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Thanks for the more specific recs, I appreciate it. Definitely gonna start with the two Miles Davis records since he seems to be a huge name and all.

11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Start with the first quintet.. the legendary prestige quintet sessions.. Feels like you are in a smokey jazz club in the 50s watching miles perform with a cigarette in his mouth.. Also this features a very young Coltrane which is really cool to hear

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yes, omg I am legitimately chasing that noir feeling, thank you for this one, definitely going on the list.
    everyone in this thread is so helpful, why even listen to emo when jazz has nice people smh

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm listening to the Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions now, with my only real intentional experience with jazz being this and A Love Supreme, I can say only that the vibe of this seems jauntier and less heavy than A Love Supreme. The latter seems like there's an emotional dark cloud it's trying to work toward, whereas this sounds more playful to me. Just noting the tone so I can hopefully get better at noticing what the different instruments are doing etc. Trying to be less passive with my listening since there aren't any lyrics to hold on to and sort of guide the way. I'm enjoying this so far though. Unlikely I'll finish all of this tonight though haha. Immense.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

One thing I've always loved is the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop. Is there anything that sounds kind of like that? Here's the link for anyone who's never listened to it. Listening to the first couple of songs, "Tank!" and "Rush" gives you a pretty good feel for it, some big band jazz kind of stuff.

15. cshadows2887

Listened to my first Dexter Gordon, Our Man in Paris, and it's pretty fantastic. My first exposure to Bud Powell, too, who I get the fame of pretty immediately.

16. bandnamexmyname Jul 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2016)
    There's a huge tradition of big bands in Japan but I'd actually start with SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS, who are actually a sextet but have a similar kind of frenetic sound about them. Their stuff is more melodic, modern, and draws from a lot more eclectic range of influences, but I find the spirit is very similar.

As for more traditional big band stuff, I'm partial to Mingus Big Band, here's their take on Moanin':

Buddy Rich is also essential big band fare. Probably the closest in sound you'll get to "Tank!" and "Rush" for my money.

Energy wise the Brecker Brothers are great too.

As a bonus, there's a SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS version of the Brecker Brothers tune I've posted above but unfortunately I can't find it on YouTube.

Hope one of these hits.

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

All of this was really great, though I especially enjoyed Mingus Big Band and Soil and Pimp Sessions so thanks for those. I'll delve more into all of these. Also did I make it up or did I hear the main melody of A Love Supreme pop up during that second Soil and Pimp Session?

18. cshadows2887

Heard The Koln Concert for the first time and it is staggeringly good. Easily a contender for the best jazz record I've heard so far. Just perfect.

19. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Got tickets to go see Pat Metheny. Really excited for that.

nl5011 likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

Usually opposed to compilations, but as albums didn't exist when these sides were cut, Jazz Moods: Hot by Duke Ellington is pretty fucking special.

21. cshadows2887

So Benny Goodman and His Sextet's On Stage is seriously spectacular. Just wonderful, wonderful stuff. He seems like a very generous bandleader, as there are whole songs where he doesn't shine, but there are solos for piano, sax, vibes, etc.

22. cshadows2887

Still obsessively listening to that Goodman record.

Also in my exploration of Brazilian music, Coisas by Moacir Santos absolutely blew me away. Fucking wonderful

23. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I've been listening to Trio da Paz with Romero Lubambo. Some great arrangements.

EmmanuelSCastle and cshadows2887 like this.
  24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I like how, in contrast to a lot of rock, when a guitarist plays fast single notes it's less for the purpose of mindless shredding/playing scales fast and has actual melodic purpose. And it just impresses me so much that they can think that quickly or far ahead, or even more impressively, can just feel it out as needed. so cool.

25. Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

RIP