Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

3. Wharf Rat

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

@Wharf Rat You planning to see Miles Ahead? I'm going at the Kendall next Tuesday. Kinda pumped for it.

5. Wharf Rat

Yeah, once I'm home from school probably. Heard some mixed things but mostly positive, pretty excited

6. Emperor Y Apr 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 21, 2016)
    Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

One of my good friends / old roommates plays Bill Evans in it. It was filmed in my hometown.

Meerkat and Wharf Rat like this.
  7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Hey all,

Having a bachelors degree in jazz studies on guitar I am extremely happy his thread exists!! Looks awesome and can't wait to dig into some of the music and articles you guys have shared on here.

8. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

The newest issue of The Drummer's Journal (free online drum magazine) has a fun interview with Lenny White with some great stories about Miles Davis and the making of Bitches Brew

9. Emperor Y

Drift, by Art & Science

The keyboardist with this group is the guy I mentioned a few posts above. there are a handful of great jazz (and non-jazz) groups in Cinci, and this record is solid.

Unrelated to this jazz discussion (have mercy! Jazz Man), but do we have a thread on here for sharing music from your local scene that isn't yours / "self-promotion"? There are some artists from Cincinnati that I think people would like but I never know when or where is appropriate to share them.

10. Emperor Y

I've seen more jazz being reviewed on p4k. Which is cool and probably good for the music in certain ways, but also:

Pitchfork : Jazz :: DNC : income inequality

Anyways, this has been Geoff's Hot Take, gang!

11. Wharf Rat

Emperor Y likes this.
  12. Wharf Rat

Ok uh other than that lately let's seeee

Emperor Y likes this.
  13. Wharf Rat

Boy I love Mehldau

14. Wharf Rat May 2, 2016
    (Last edited: May 2, 2016)
    Wharf Rat

@cshadows2887 this record is among the most accessible 'avante garde' jazz albums i've heard. part of that is because there's actually a decent amount of straight up stuff in here but still. also the ornette album from a couple posts up^^^ is pure groove and pretty accessible imo. this dude was in pharoah sanders' band AND santana

damn holy shit the "night in tunisia" from this is INSANE

15. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

My school jazz band just placed 6th in our division in the NJ State Finals. Out of 50 or so bands, not too bad! 3rd straight year in the finals. Sad it is my last year. I hope to continue my jazz studies at Rowan though. They have a great program.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  16. Wharf Rat

17. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I've been getting into the ECM artists; Jan Garbarek, John Abercrombe, Kenny wheeler, Ralph Towner, Oregon.

Really digging Dave Stryker as a guitarist. Great blues and jazz. His 'shades of miles' project is top notch.

18. Wharf Rat

hot ass day. Far East Suite kinda day

19. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Brian Blade's first album with the Fellowship is so fucking good. Anyone else agree?

20. cshadows2887

Well this looks like an album I need to hear ASAP.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  21. Wharf Rat

Hell yeah you do. Been a fav since we played "Isfahan" in big band. Beautiful song that I still have memorized. Really simple song for trumpet so I mostly listened

22. cshadows2887

I have never actually heard a proper Ellington record. God, Jazz is such an intimidatingly deep ocean to wade into.

23. Wharf Rat

This is very true. I'm still hearing absolute legends for the first time. It's great though! "At Newport" is probably his masterpiece but that's very arguable

24. cshadows2887

I have At Newport on my laptop from a buddy, I just haven't hit it yet.

Guys like him bother my OCD tremendously because I know a lot of their most legendary stuff isn't on records. "Black and Tan Fantasy", etc.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  25. cshadows2887

Dude, when it drops to just piano in the middle of "Ad Lib on Nippon". Holy feelings.