Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 35

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Listening to Digital Works for the first time in years and it is still so damn good. The last 50 seconds of La Costa is absolute perfection. Wave is still the best though.

2. jdr2187

jdr2187

New anonymous UK band released this gem recently.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Do you follow any publications or writers or anything like that?? how do you find all these new releases I feel like I get most of my jazz news from this thread or non jazz specific sites

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

Honestly the majority of it comes from this other forum.
    They have a very active jazz forum that has a lot of discussion on both classic and newer stuff.
    Jazz

Ken and Wharf Rat like this.
  5. PauLo

43% Burnt

BBC Four - Jazz 625, The British Jazz Explosion

Not sure how many UK folk are on here, but if you are or you have a decent VPN that lets you watch BBC iPlayer, check out the show above. An excellent look at the UK jazz scene with live performances from Ezra Collective, Sons of Kemet, Moses Boyd and a few more. Definitely worth a watch.

Wharf Rat, Philll and jdr2187 like this.
  6. PauLo

43% Burnt

Peeps... where's the best place to start with Chet Baker? Listened to some of "...Sings" last night, just wondered where I should go next.

7. Wharf Rat

After consulting my friends who are more knowledgeable than me, I've been told I should recommend the other "Sings" albums especially It Could Happen to You in order to look smart and cool

PauLo likes this.
  8. PauLo

43% Burnt

Cheers man, appreciate you asking them!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  9. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

If you were to pick, like, 2-3 of the Grammy jazz nominees announced today that you'd recommend...?

Contemporary jazz is always a hard sell for me but I want to be better.

10. jdr2187

jdr2187

Im not familiar with some of them but both the Ambrose Akinmusire and Terri Lynne Carrington albums are both great.

11. cshadows2887

Thanks, man. Will prioritize. Also definitely gonna check out the Christian Scott Atunde Adjuah album that got a nom, too.

jdr2187 likes this.
  12. PauLo

43% Burnt

I keep forgetting about that CSAA album that came out this year. I think it’s because the 2 hour run time for a 12 track album is a little daunting haha

13. PauLo

43% Burnt

Finally listening to Axiom now and it is superb. Definitely give it a listen if you haven't already. Gonna revisit Ancestral Recall in a bit too, it's somehow been over a year since I last listened to it!

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  14. cshadows2887

Wharf Rat likes this.
  15. PauLo

43% Burnt

New Rob Mazurek album is pretty great, huh? International Anthem is on a role this year.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  16. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat and PauLo like this.
  17. Wharf Rat

18. jdr2187

jdr2187

Haha I thought the same, I’m also unfamiliar with most of what made these lists.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  19. cshadows2887

I've heard one album that landed on either list, and I listened to it within the last 48 hours. Haha.

That's on me for not realizing there was a new Charles Lloyd though.

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

Just getting round to giving this a listen and digging it quite a bit.

jdr2187 likes this.
  21. jdr2187

jdr2187

22. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat likes this.
  23. PauLo

43% Burnt

Man, new Yussef Dayes, Black Nile and the Brandee Younger & Dezron Douglas album all getting released today? Damn, it's like an early Christmas!

Wharf Rat and jdr2187 like this.
  24. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat likes this.
  25. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Cameron Graves album in February.