Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 33

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

listening to Coltrane for the first time, feels like a major turning point in my life tbh

Pepetito, Wharf Rat, jdr2187 and 3 others like this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I'm honestly envious. Which?

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. yung_ting Sep 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2020)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Started with Blue Train, sneaking out for breaks at work solely to listen to Giant Steps and will be listening to A Love Supreme on my way home. Completely blown away

Wharf Rat, cshadows2887 and jdr2187 like this.
  4. PauLo

43% Burnt

My Favourite Things and Ascension should be next

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Ascension was the next one I had my eye on! Will do Favourite Things also and then it’s on to Davis

6. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

a beautiful thing

yung_ting likes this.
  7. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

late to the party but extremely happy to be here

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

I still hate Ascension. I give it an occasional next listen just to see, but nope. Never gonna be for me.

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman is fantastic though if you want to hear what he does with a vocalist.

9. yung_ting Sep 27, 2020
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I just came to post how floored I am by Ascension lol, absolute chaos but it’s thrilling and (imo) beautiful

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

def check out The John Coltrane Quartet Plays too if you're lookin for more stuff from Trane

wonderful album like everything he cut with his quartet

yung_ting likes this.
  11. yung_ting Sep 27, 2020
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I am lookin and have now added, my spouse’s dad collects jazz and he recommended that one so I’ll definitely be listening!

Aregala likes this.
  12. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

for Davis my introduction was gonna be Bitches Brew/Kind of Blue/In a Silent Way

open to whatever you folks suggest though!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  13. cshadows2887

I'd recommend Sketches of Spain as both his most accessible AND his masterpiece. And if you're coming from more of a rock background, Tribute to Jack Johnson is a great gateway. Probably moreso than Bitches Brew for his electric stuff.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. PauLo

43% Burnt

And if you enjoy Jack Johnson and Bitches Brew, On The Corner should be next

Wharf Rat likes this.
  15. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Thanks to you both! Listened to Kind of Blue and In A Silent Way this morning, doing Jack Johnson now and will probably get to Sketches/Bitches/Corner today

might be a controversial opinion but this Miles Davis guy is pretty fucking good huh

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

You new to jazz or just discovering some classics you missed out on?

17. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

checked out Your Queen Is a Reptile on a whim when it released and fell in love, kept up pretty well with the London scene since but this is my first time listening to the greats. Easily the most excited I’ve been since I discovered dance music and dug through Moodymann and Chandler records some ten years ago

Wharf Rat, PauLo and Nate_Johnson like this.
  18. PauLo

43% Burnt

Had a Bob James kinda morning. Obviously knew all the songs that sampled him, so thought i'd give his stuff a proper listen. Good stuff.

Could probably have put this in the soul/funk thread as well. Ah well.

19. Wharf Rat

love On the Corner. IASW sounds like a Dead record, it rocks. For further challenges, check out the live electric stuff - Agharta, Pangea etc

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  20. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

there are a lot of mind-blowing coltrane albums but i'd like to recommend olé and live at birdland in particular, those two are my absolute faves

cshadows2887 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

meditations (and first meditations, different recording of the same material) is my favorite of his freeer stuff

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  22. PauLo

43% Burnt

@yung_ting If you enjoyed Miles and Coltrane's free jazz/fusion stuff, definitely listen to some Ornette Coleman next. And then Eric Dolphy. Out to Lunch! by Dolphy is one of my favourite jazz albums of all time.

yung_ting and Wharf Rat like this.
  23. Wharf Rat

dolphy solo on this one tho

24. stijn_p Oct 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 8, 2020)
    stijn_p

Regular Supporter

Everybody on this website, so everyone who loves music, should have heard this record. Especially side A. 26 minutes of pure bless.

Attached Files:

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  25. PauLo

43% Burnt

Didn't know where else to put this. New album from Bastien Keb. Described as...

Definitely has a jazzy feel to it. Almost feels Bon Iver-esq in places too. Figured a few that frequent this thread would dig it.