Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 31

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

On top of the 2 releases already mentioned today, I’d also recommend the new one from Waaju.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. Finally getting around to this GoGo Penguin record. Halfway through and my head is kinda exploding clear off my neck. Beautiful record. Will throw Ambrose Akinmusire on tomorrow

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

loving this one

jdr2187 likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I have such a hard time with jazz guys from the pre-album era. I always worry that whatever compilation I choose will be missing some amazing staple I would have loved.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Zara McFarlane next month.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. PauLo Jun 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2020)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

I'm surprised Melt Yourself Down aren't discussed more on here. Awesome mixtures of jazz, funk, punk and afrobeat. The first two albums had Shabaka Hutchings and Tom Skinner on (although since moved on). And their new album 100% Yes is super fun.

7. Wharf Rat

Honestly that wasn't for me. Felt almost cheesey or something, maybe too much of a ska vibe lol

8. PauLo

43% Burnt

Fair enough! Didn’t get a ska vibe from it though and I’d definitely not listen to it if it did haha. I thought it shared a lot in common with The Comet Is Coming or Sons Of Kemet. Not because of the Shabaka link, just the danceable vibe to a lot of it.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  9. jdr2187

jdr2187

PauLo likes this.
  10. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat likes this.
  11. PauLo

43% Burnt

Love this. Love Mingus just wandering around during his solo and then going back seconds before starting again. Genius.

jdr2187 and Wharf Rat like this.
  12. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

13. PauLo

43% Burnt

Anyone got any recommendations for Ennio Morricone's more jazzier stuff? Loved the scores for Cold Eyes of Fear and A Lizard in a Womens Skin and just wondered if anyone knew of any of his stuff that's kind of similar...?

14. Philll

Trusted

What would you folks say are the essential Herbie Hancock records to check out?

15. Wharf Rat

pre-fusion: Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, Speak Like a Child

Fusion: Headhunters, Flood, Sextant, Mwandishi

if you like the fusion stuff here's a bunch of great bootlegs from that era:

Philll likes this.
  16. Philll

Trusted

Oh man, thanks.

Also just want to say I'm aware that I regularly ask tuings of this thread but don't really have anything to offer myself, so thanks to all who humour me, I hope I don't ask too much.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  17. cshadows2887

Everything in his list of recs is accurate to my knowledge (as they always are), but just wanted to add that Speak Like a Child is one of my favorite jazz records, period.

Wharf Rat and Philll like this.
  18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

19. Wharf Rat

Man the Redman/Mehldau/McBride/Blade album lives up to that billing. Those dudes are so tight

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

Very excited about all of this!

21. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat likes this.
  22. Wharf Rat

The Asher Gamedze is great, thanks to the thread for putting it on my list.

23. cshadows2887

Listened to this one in memory of Annie Ross, only to find out Henry Grimes (RIP) is on it as well. It's fuckin' excellent. And somehow my first Chet Baker.

[​IMG]

Wharf Rat likes this.
  24. Wharf Rat

you gotta get on more Chet although for me he's winter music all the way. if its dusk and snowing oh baby im putting this one on

cshadows2887 likes this.
  25. cshadows2887

Is there a preference generally between his vocal albums and his instrumental ones?