Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Ah yeah, sorry, the album is Time Out by Dave Brubeck Quartet. Was focusing on about 32 different things last night and screwed up!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Honestly, I make that mistake like every time I go to listen to that album. I search "Take Five" on spotify every time

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Starting this right now.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Okay so Speak No Evil is pretty fabulous. Very much my kind of jazz.

AllMusic says this is partially avant garde, but I don't really hear it. It's really tuneful.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat

Yeah, I've heard that too, but eh. I suppose it's got some elements of that post-bop style I described earlier. "Witch Hunt" is based around quartal harmony, but that's just a little weird, not really avante-garde.

6. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

Time Out was solid. Really relaxing despite the oddness at times.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. cshadows2887

He does take occasional jaunts into weird territory with his solos but he always grounds it back with something melodious and the rest of the group is always being melodically pleasing while he does, so I don't mind it one bit.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. Wharf Rat

I'm glad you liked! That's another one of my favorites.

Yuuuup. It's a great record. It's crazy to listen to that and think about where he would eventually go with Weather Report and shit.

9. Wharf Rat

10. Wharf Rat

I'm about to listen to so much Monk today

11. cshadows2887

Monk's Dream is fire.

He had his own thread on The Site That Must Not Be Named, too.

12. Wharf Rat

I've got Solo Monk going, then probly Monk's Dream, maybe some Brilliant Corners or a a cut with Coltrane. Or Thelonious Monk Trio. Idk. I'm just planning on living in Monk today.

13. Wharf Rat

Why the Color of Nina Simone's Skin Is as Important as the Sound of Her Voice

Nina was an activist. Her political beliefs were so intertwined with her music and her identity that to separate the three would make little sense. Subtly, she wove ideas about black womanhood throughout many of her most personal works. But she was explicit in her views about broader issues, most significantly the ongoing Civil Rights movement. She wrote “Mississippi Goddam" after the 1963 assassination of Civil Rights activist Medgar Evers and the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama that killed four young black girls that same year. In 1968, she released “Why? (The King of Love is Dead).” Written by bassist Gene Taylor after he received news of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination, the song was first performed three days after his death. The original live version, nearly 13 minutes long, included Nina singing along with an ongoing monologue about the loss of Dr. King.

It seems like we have said this so many times now, but apparently it bears repeating: Simone performed with a reflection of her inner struggles and beliefs. Those truly paying attention to her life story would know this.

14. cshadows2887

Did you intentionally mistype that just to watch steam come out of The Jazz Man's ears like a cartoon?

15. Wharf Rat

:-):-):-)

what do u think

16. Wharf Rat

I TOLD U!!! ~its a whole new world~ baby...join me

cshadows2887 and schlotty like this.
  17. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

You're probably going to have a bunch of those moments. Glad you're enjoying it though! It's a fun genre when it's not busy being incredibly overwhelming

schlotty likes this.
  18. iplaydrums likes this.
  19. cshadows2887

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. Wharf Rat

I've seen that but haven't dug into it at all yet. It's pretty daunting but I definitely will. Most of them are live cuts too, definitely ready to find another kind of bootleg I can become fluent in

21. cshadows2887

I can't even try to deal with that, tbh. I'm already so intimidated by how much jazz output there is.

Like, I haven't heard a proper Ellington record. Or Rollins. Or Gillespe. Or Bird. Or Dexter Gordon. Or Basie. Or Goodman. Or Lester Young. Or Art Tatum. Or Adderly. Or Montgomery. Or...

schlotty and Wharf Rat like this.
  22. Wharf Rat

Yuuup. I still feel this way. But I love it

23. cshadows2887

Searching Pharaoh Sanders and came across this:

[​IMG]

Might be one of the next things I listen to. I can't tell from the description if I will love or hate it

Wharf Rat likes this.
  24. Wharf Rat

Oh man haha. Not sure if that's for you, but I love it. It is pretty accessible for avante-garde. It's essential for sure

25. cshadows2887

Oh god, my least favorite hyphenated word.