Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 25

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Que Vola is the shit

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wow, yeah the Que Vola album is great. Good rec.

3. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

Tom, Wharf Rat and jdr2187 like this.
  4. jdr2187

jdr2187

Two solid albums released today by KVL and Jamael Dean.

Tom, Gjpeace and Wharf Rat like this.
  5. jdr2187

jdr2187

The new Junius Paul album is a good one. It’s to the point where pretty much anything International Anthem releases is an instant purchase.

nl5011 and Wharf Rat like this.
  6. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

They've got quite the roster and history this year, really damn solid

jdr2187 likes this.
  7. PauLo

43% Burnt

Was literally just coming on to ask if anyone had given it a listen yet haha. Not far in, but if it stays as good as it starts, this could be a top 10 AOTY contender for me.

jdr2187 likes this.
  8. PauLo

43% Burnt

And yeah, International Anthem has probably put out some of my favourite albums from the past couple of years.

jdr2187 likes this.
  9. PauLo

43% Burnt

So, whilst I was listening to the Junius Paul album, I thought i'd find International Anthem on Twitter and give them a follow and keep up to date with shows/releases etc. First tweets I see are that he's playing a midnight show at a church that night as a release party. Who was he playing with? Makaya McCraven (who i'd already had to miss earlier in the week) and Shabaka fucking Hutchings. Oh and Jaimie Branch was playing a show at the same venue earlier in the night. And me? I had to work the next day so couldn't go. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Swear I felt actual heartbreak when I realised I couldn't go haha

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah that’d be quite disappointing. I love how involved the London and Chicago scene are with each other though. Nashville doesn’t get many jazz shows, but the one time Makaya McCraven rolled through town Theon Cross was playing with him, which was very unexpected.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  11. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

If you’re in Nashville, it might be worth checking out Big Ears festival in Knoxville—even if you just went for a day. Makaya McCraven, The Comet is Coming, and Sons of Kemet played last year; Jaimie Branch, The Necks, Sam Gendel, Christian Scott, and Shabaka and the Ancestors are going to be there next year, among others. It’s expensive, but I’ve seen so many acts there that I would rarely, if ever, see anywhere else.

jdr2187 likes this.
  12. jdr2187

jdr2187

Man I would absolutely love to go to that, but I travel a lot for work so being gone for a few days for a festival would be a tough sell with my wife. I just looked at the lineup though and maybe I should start prepping my sales pitch now haha.

13. jdr2187

jdr2187

Aquarium Drunkard wrote about this album a couple days ago and it’s already one of my favorite jazz albums I’ve heard this year. Highly recommend giving it a listen.

I’ve also been really enjoying this one too after stumbling up on a piece in The Guardian about it.

Gjpeace and Wharf Rat like this.
  14. PauLo

43% Burnt

New Jeff Parker next year

jdr2187 likes this.
  15. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Moses Boyd Feb 14!

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

Wharf Rat and jdr2187 like this.
  17. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wildflower also have a new one coming out in February.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  18. PauLo

43% Burnt

This should be cool

Wharf Rat, jdr2187 and Gjpeace like this.
  19. Wharf Rat

oh that looks fucking awesome damn

20. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat likes this.
  21. Wharf Rat

Wow I guess I should listen to the other 8 on there I haven't heard based on Kris Davis #1 and Kingmaker #3. I didn't even know there was a nu-AEC

jdr2187 likes this.
  22. PauLo

43% Burnt

Any chance of copying and pasting that for us poor suckers who can't afford to look beyond the pay wall...?

EDIT: Wait... it isn't a pay wall. Ok, can someone copy and paste it for us too lazy to subscribe haha

23. Wharf Rat

Didn't need to log in or subscribe or anything, but here it is:

PauLo likes this.
  24. PauLo

43% Burnt

I think it may be different for non-US site visitors. Thank you, though!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  25. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Antoine Berjeaut album out today produced by Makaya McCraven.

Wharf Rat likes this.