Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 16

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

Been loving this album from Makaya McCraven and a lot of the big London players. Also a limited pressing of the vinyl just became available for anyone interested.

By the way this album features Theon Cross, the tuba player for Sons of Kemet. A lot of people around here seemed to have become interested in them lately so it seems like relevant info.

RyanNevill and Wharf Rat like this.
  2. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I need to get on that (and the previous McCraven album). Been pretty obsessed with the new one from him: it reminds me a lot of my favorite stuff from Four Tet, Flying Lotus, and others of that crowd. Just grooves so hard but has a kind of ambient vibe to it at times.

jdr2187 likes this.
  3. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

The Nate smith record from this year is INSANE. Up there w kinfolk for me

nl5011 likes this.
  5. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Theon Cross (Sons of Kemet) album in February.

t_papaccio and Wharf Rat like this.
  6. jdr2187

jdr2187

This Idris Ackamoor album ended up in my top 20 this year, and I’m realizing now I probably should have had it even higher. I’ve wore it out over the holidays.

7. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

That Sons of Kemet album has proved wildly popular among my friends, most of whom are avid music listeners but not big jazz people. It has a reach unlike other albums, which surprised me.

Blaine Ryan, Wharf Rat and jdr2187 like this.
  8. Philll

Trusted

Ah amazing, I heard this group on the radio the other day, loved it, but forgot to track it down. Thanks so much.

jdr2187 likes this.
  9. Blaine Ryan

Really getting into this guy these past couple weeks, and this is probably my favorite track -- really kicks into overdrive at about 1:45. Fans of Nels Cline, Bill Frisell, etc. should enjoy.

jdr2187 likes this.
  10. jdr2187

jdr2187

Wharf Rat likes this.
  11. PauLo

43% Burnt

Checked out both Ben Lamar Gay and Onyx Collective recently, really digging both.

If anyone else has some recs for weird, electronic tinged jazz, i'm all ears!

12. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’d recommend the albums that came out last year from Anteloper, DJ Khalab, and James ‘Creole’ Thomas.

PauLo likes this.
  13. PauLo

43% Burnt

Nice, I will give them a listen!

14. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I wish there was a better affordable option to get 50s/60s blue note stuff than the 75th anniversary campaign

They're a good price but they were pressed at United so quality is total hit or miss

Regardless, that era of jazz truly astounds me. How one label managed to put out that much transformative shit, just bonkers

cshadows2887 likes this.
  15. PauLo

43% Burnt

Didn't know whether to talk about Avantdale Bowling Club in here or hip hop, but i think the instrumentation alone on his last album more than qualifies if for this thread. Definitely a hint of BADBADNOTGOOD about the music, but with more rapping. Really great album.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  16. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

jdr2187 and JoshShulkin like this.
  17. jdr2187

jdr2187

New one from The Comet is Coming (Shabaka Hutchings)

Wharf Rat likes this.
  18. Wharf Rat

Seething upon discovering that the Red Clay reissue from 2010 is in stereo and still has all the stupid panning choices of the original. dumb dumb dumb dumb i hate it

19. Wharf Rat

Might spend a while really digging into the ECM catalog now that it's streaming

jdr2187 likes this.
  20. jdr2187

jdr2187

21. Wharf Rat

Oh sick, Shuja Haider (a politics guy i followed on twitter) posted another article from this site that only kind of tangentially brought up ECM that made me think of embarking on this. Funny that you link to the same site. Looks like a good guide

22. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Aquarium Drunkard is the best. Love their (ongoing) ECM articles.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  23. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

hell yeah these look great

24. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Been on a huge Bill Evans kick recently. Probably my favorite Jazz musician ever if I had to pick.

cshadows2887, Aregala and Wharf Rat like this.
  25. jdr2187 Jan 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 25, 2019)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

Been enjoying this Nick Walters album.