Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jazz Genre • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Jazz is great until it disrespects fusion and free and avante garde at the end smh

incognitojones likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It's a masterpiece until it gets past bop and cool jazz, I feel like.

I have no use for free and avant generally either, but, c'mon, guys. You're supposed to be giving the overview.

I think its most artful thing is drawing the threads of certain major artists through multiple episodes. So you know what Ellington was doing while Bird was changing the face of American music, rather than just moving on.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Is this available to stream anywhere?

4. cshadows2887

Amazon Prime has episodes 2-10, which is bizarre and infuriating.

5. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Strange. I'll check out what they have.

6. cshadows2887

Honestly, worth paying to rent the one episode to watch the other 9 free.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  7. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Binker & Moses out today and it’s awesome.

8. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

Kamasi Washington record is also unsuprisingly brilliant

incognitojones and jdr2187 like this.
  9. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Wayne Shorter really is that dude

The Lucky Moose and Wharf Rat like this.
  10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Which track on the album is playing in the album trailer video?

11. jdr2187

jdr2187

I believe it’s By Design.

12. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

13. Horrorca

Trusted

been listening to all the solo Keith Jarrett concerts a lot

an absolute wonder

Cody likes this.
  14. Wharf Rat

Finally saw whiplash

Great movie that is wrong about jazz a lot

15. Wharf Rat

Like can you imagine a young player desperate to get better spending all of his practice time in the woodshed? And never with a combo or group at all? Not playing in front of any audience except at competitions? I cannot

I'm 4 years late to this but it made me kind of mad

Great movie though

16. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

All my jazz friends hated Whiplash

Its a sick movie if you think of the drumming as just an artistic metaphor for that relationship of pushing a general artist or even athlete or something.

but to anyone who's actually like trained or been taught jazz they get so much wrong.

jpmalone4 and Wharf Rat like this.
  17. Wharf Rat

The idea of a drummer trying to play 300bpm for hours on end until he bleeds is absurd but its fun to watch

18. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I mean, if you don’t like a movie because it doesn’t portray something accurately to real life then I would say you might possibly not “get” what movies exactly are lol

Like in Whiplash he literally gets hit by a semi truck but is conscious well enough and for long enough to do all that he did afterwards lol

19. Wharf Rat

that's a total cop out, movies don't have to be hyperrealistic but to expect a movie about a music student to, you know, correlate at all with anything that actual music students do isnt unreasonable. the semi truck is also ridiculous obviously and also unnecessary because they couldve just had him get hit by the truck and miss the performance and had the exact same effect

20. Wharf Rat

again i really enjoyed the movie overall

even though the bass player holds the instrument totally wrong

21. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Lol it’s literally not a cop out. The movie showing him always playing with people would have weakened the point of how isolated and narcissistic he is. It’s a movie about his character, not a movie *about* jazz. Jazz is just the vehicle they used to get there

How many professions are genuinely, accurately portrayed in movies? Every cop or legal movie ever is fucking insane, but who cares lol

22. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Actually I take it back about cops. There’s plenty of research showing that cop and military shows do genuinely impact people’s real beliefs about real cops and criminal/foreign policy and whatever else

But that’s, like, something that actually matters lol

23. Wharf Rat

yeah its definitely not about jazz, that is my point, but 99% of people who saw it don't seem to understand that lol. which is why it is very annoying. do you know how many times i heard "yeah its directed by a guy who went to music school. jazz school must be crazy."

also like, i care lol, it lessened my enjoyment of it to a certain extent. it literally makes no sense at all for a drummer to be practicing alone in his room playing as fast he can for hours on end until he bleeds. its nonsense and no one in the world has ever done it. when movies make no sense that is usually considered a negative but maybe thats just me

incognitojones and Aregala like this.
  24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Listened to the The Koln concert on a plane ride back from Iceland and it was maybe the best musical experience I’ve ever had. So inspiring

Also inspiring is the behemoth of a record Sons of Kemet put out this year

25. Wharf Rat

Sons of Kemet album fucking rules, its so sick