Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jay-Z - 4:44 (June 30,2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 18, 2017.

1. shouts23

Hi, I'm Negan ;)

I agree with that, he does sound bored, but it could be the fact hes 48 now idk.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Haha, I'm totally can't blame the almost 50-year old billionaire on his 13th album for sounding a little less enthused

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

He 100% has weird flow on certain songs.

Idk why people are going so hard on this, it's an okay album and an above par 10s Jay album. Lyrics are super personal, sure, but there's still a ton of dumbass recent Jay lines on this

I like it more than his last few, but it definitely has flaws and falls in the mid level of hip hop releases this year

Joe4th, Contender and beachdude42 like this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Sounds hungry as hell on the end of Smile tho

5. cherrywaves

Trusted

What people are hearing as unenthused I'd argue is more conversational than anything

Matt Chylak and beachdude42 like this.
  6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This. I think those moments come across as "raw" rather than bored or dry, to me at least.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  7. beachdude

People had a super low bar for a Jay-Z album in 2017 and this exceeded it. Only reason it's SO hyped imo. I agree that it's good but nothing incredible.

8. irthesteve

and to be fair, it's spurring a ton of articles/reactions based on what he talks about. A ton of revelations about his family's notoriously secretive life

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Kanye does this shit too it's real annoying

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Better than his last few but that's not saying much. Probably won't revisit this much.

11. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean I think this is legitimately good, not just because it's better than the last few. It's unique within his discography.

ChaseTx and Matt Chylak like this.
  12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

About to listen to Reasonable Doubt for the first time...working my way up to this. Never heard a full Jay project but fixing that

ChaseTx and kyle like this.
  13. irthesteve

good lord, you're seriously going to listen to all 13 for the first time?

tdlyon likes this.
  14. George

Trusted Prestigious

Unless you're super committed don't do all 13 to start, he has a fair few filler albums. I'd check out Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, The Black Album and American Gangster for a decent overview of Jay-Z.

ChaseTx and tdlyon like this.
  15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Lol, when I'm getting into artists for the first time I always just do everything, good or bad (unless they have like 20+ albums). It usually kind of bugs me if I skip something, I feel like I'm missing something, and I also disagree with popular opinion a lot (for example I'm actually quite excited for The Blueprint 3 because it has a ton of features I like). For now I do plan on just going chronologically but I guess that's subject to change if it's really that big of an undertaking

ChaseTx and Blaine Ryan like this.
  16. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I can't imagine listening to Reasonable Doubt for the first time and just moving on. I think I played it for a week straight after first hearing it.

Fucking Dustin, Ken, tdlyon and 2 others like this.
  17. Bane

The spiciest meme

I've gone through this once, it didn't blow me away really but it's solid. Decent enough to give it future plays, and then it might grow on me more.

18. Blaine Ryan

I agree with Matt, but that's a great way to approach it. Especially with "classic" artists/bands, I don't think enough people go into discographies with an open mind like that. A lot of my favorite records are ones I never would have found if I'd followed the consensus.

Aaron Mook, tdlyon and skogsraet like this.
  19. tucah

not champ Prestigious

'4:44' Producer No I.D. Talks Pushing Jay-Z, Creating '500 Ideas'

A lot of really interesting stuff in there but for "news":

20. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is quite solid tbh!

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I feel like people always leave out Vol. 2 when they speak about his worthwhile albums. I enjoy that one a lot still

Matt Chylak likes this.
  22. irthesteve

He had an "every other" thing going with his albums for most of his career, where every other album was really solid. If you don't count La Famlila as a solo album

Reasonable Doubt, Vol 2, Blueprint, Black Album, American Gangster

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

"I could've bought a place in Dumbo before it was Dumbo
    For like 2 million
    That same building today is worth 25 million
    Guess how I'm feeling? Dumbo"

24. beachdude

The line about the album being ripped off Tidal is great lmao

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'll give this album the personal feel and being better than the past few but listening to some Jay oldies over the weekend, this is still relatively underwhelming and awkward at points. Beats especially lacking. Not bad but still underwhelming aside from a few