Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Everything that has been said about Dave Cobb is exactly why I wish The Avett Brothers would stop having Rick Rubin produce their albums and work with Dave Cobb.

I would be happy if Jason Isbell mixed it up a little bit with his sound on this next album. Working with a different producer could be good,
    but I do think Cobb could still be the one behind the boards as long as Isbell and him made the conscious decision to do things differently this time.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I mean, it is 100 percent going to be Cobb producing, so it’s a moot point. But yeah, some sort of departure or evolution or risk would be really cool to hear. Last time Jason made a big thing about “making a rock and roll record,” but I’m not sure The Nashville Sound is more of a rock record than Something More Than Free.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it certainly feels more “electric” but yes calling it a rock record was probably a mistake

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. He should get Sturgill to produce him, the new Tyler Childers record sounds so good haha

phaynes12 and Craig Manning like this.
  5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I honestly cannot wait to check out the remixed and remastered versions of Here We Rest and the self-titled. I didn't think these things made that much of a difference really, but finding out that the album version of "Love Never" from the new Jimmy Eat World was not re-recordes and simply remixed from the same performances changed my thinking.

6. I think the fact that he's taken three years between studio trips as opposed to two might do this next record some favors too

7. Yep yep this makes total sense

Craig Manning likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

This right here is why Isbell is the artist i would most like to hear cover the Darkness album in full.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  9. He'd need a second person on keys to really do it justice in my opinion but yeah that would be awesome.

Could fiddle replace sax? Probably on most songs right? There's not much sax on that record anyway

10. phaynes12

rips

11. Craig Manning

Yeah, I feel like he could probably find another keyboard player, haha. I'd assume that Amanda would handle Clarence's parts.

I tweeted something out a few months ago about who I'd want to cover each of the first eight Springsteen records and The 400 Unit was definitely my pick for Darkness. Trying to remember who else I had in there. Brian Fallon/The Gaslight Anthem were definitely my pick for The Wild, The Innocent. I'll have to dig that up.

12. phaynes12

war on drugs cover tunnel of love - the best springsteen album

DaydreamNation and Barcara like this.
  13. Craig Manning

I think I had them in for Born in the USA, but they would killTunnel too.

Barcara and phaynes12 like this.
  14. phaynes12

would really tear apart the synth heavy sounds

Barcara likes this.
  15. Barcara

Regular

Would love to see this tweet!

16. Craig Manning

Here's the top of the thread:

In retrospect, I'd probably tweak this a bit. Definitely feeling The Hold Steady for Greetings, for instance, and a Sturgill take on Nebraska sounds like just what I want post-Sound & Fury.

17. Oh. My.

If you're not a Dire Straits fan (which you should be) you might recognize this song from the last episode of season 2 of The West Wing. Watch before it gets taken down like the "Because the Night" video I posted last week unfortunately did.

Matthewconte, SVXDan83 and phaynes12 like this.
  18. SVXDan83

Regular

Wow! He really nailed that guitar tone! Its funny, I first heard this song because of West Wing and will always vividly remember that montage and how the song was used. It was also the song that made me really take notice of Dire Straits being more than that "Money for Nothing" and "Sultans of Swing" band.

Thanks for sharing this!

19. Pro-shot vid from the Ryman of one of the best songs anyone's written in the last ten years

Brother Beck and Craig Manning like this.
  20. phaynes12

no doubt

Brother Beck and DaydreamNation like this.
  21. Brother Beck Nov 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 4, 2019)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Has anyone listened to the self-titled or Here We Rest reissues that have been remixed and remastered yet.....???

* Edited to add that I've listened to the digital version that came with my order but I bought from Amazon and I don't have faith that this is the correct, reissued version. I'm waiting for my physical copy to come in so I can look at it and see that it is in fact the reissued, new version.

22. No, why do you ask? A little surprised they're redoing Here We Rest, that record sounds great

Brother Beck likes this.
  23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I was just wondering if anyone could hear a noticeable difference... This album and the self-titled were reissued a couple weeks ago remixed by Dave Cobb and remastered by Pete Lyman. I was also curious because neither one of those albums struck me as really needing the work.

24. Brother Beck Nov 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 5, 2019)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I am no expert on recording or mixing techniques, and I don’t have a very good sound system, but I tried to compare the two versions of the album today. I don’t notice much of a difference on the more acoustic-based songs for lack of a better descriptor, like “Alabama Pines” or “Codeine”. Where I do hear a difference though is on the more electric guitar driven tracks. The difference was most notable to me on the track “Go It Alone”, where the beginning of the song sounds quite different. On the original version from 2011 the song always started off with a relatively muscular sounding electric guitar riff right away. The 2019 reissue of the song starts off with a voice counting in, and then other instruments come in along with the electric guitar but the riff sounds / feels more subdued and toned down. I could be dead wrong here, but my guess would be that for the remix of at least this song, Dave Cobb pushed the electric guitar back or lower in the mix while bringing the other instruments up or forward. If I had to describe how this version of the song sounds I would say it sounds to me like Dave Cobb brought the sound of the song in line with how he’s made the last three Jason Isbell albums sound. It definitely sounds fantastic, and you can probably hear the entire band playing their parts a little better on the new version, but I think I do miss the more muscular guitar sound.

(* Edited to correct title of song. I was talking about the second track on the album "Go It Alone, but I originally typed "We've Met".)

25. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Posting for two reasons