Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

The "Cover Me Up" take made me so happy. I was crying at the same time, but you know what I mean.

primavera and Craig Manning like this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

guessing this is for Sheryl's album

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

5. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

6. jdr2187 Jan 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2019)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

DaydreamNation and waking season like this.
  7. Happy Decoration Day y'all

8. jdr2187

jdr2187

Had a business trip to San Diego this week. On the flight from Nashville I looked over and noticed Sadler Vaden from the 400 unit was on the flight so I instantly checked and sure enough Isbell was playing the next night in San Diego. Grabbed tickets for 19 bucks at the door, which blew my mind a little bc if I want tickets to see him at home in Nashville I have to grab them in the first 5 minutes they go on sale 6 months before the show.

Anyways, catching the show was complete dumb luck and Isbell killed it as usual. Father John Misty was fine too, but I’m still not much of a fan.

ChaseTx, DaydreamNation and Gjpeace like this.
  9. abw123

Trusted

Saw him live last night for the 5th or 6th team and he never disappoints. New song "Overseas" sounded great. And I don't think it gets said enough how incredible the 400 Unit is. To me that's the best and tightest backing band since the Heartbreakers. And even better when Amanda is there like last night.

DaydreamNation and Craig Manning like this.
  10. Craig Manning

There's a reason that the new Josh Ritter album is so good, and it's largely The 400 Unit.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  11. Have seen him foue times but have only gotten Amanda once and it was the best of the four shows by far.

12. abw123

Trusted

yes, the fiddle is great but her harmonizing is key

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Brother Beck, DaydreamNation and zmtr like this.
  14. Awesome. Here We Rest is still one of his absolute best records imo, and the s/t doesn't get enough love too

Brother Beck likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

I will now complete my Isbell vinyl collection!

Brother Beck and DaydreamNation like this.
  16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Looks like I'm buying Here We Rest and the self-titled again! Oh well, $30 isn't bad for that much amazing music. I am curious to hear the remix and remaster, as I had already thought those were both great sounding albums to begin with.

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this fucking rules. combines the clapton version and original so nicely

phaynes12 and Craig Manning like this.
  19. Back to the studio in Dec

20. Craig Manning

I’m sure he’s working with Dave Cobb again, but I really wish he’d mix it up. Feel like it would be good for him to have someone pushing him in new ways. I’d also just love to hear what a slightly bigger, slightly bolder Isbell album would sound like at this point. I admire Cobb a lot, but I think he occasionally under-produces.

21. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I kinda love that about Cobb. The records never sound too big and it feels like you’re sitting in the room with those songs. He does such a good job with these songwriters.

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

also, i think that’s kinda dependent on the artist and what the artist wants haha. sailors guide sounds huge. to the sunset and the highwomen sound huge.

23. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Is this a 400 Unit record? Still not sure what the delineation is haha

24. Craig Manning

I just think The 400 Unit has a little more to offer than we got on The Nashville Sound. They sound so incredible live. They sound a little neutered on record. I actually like how Isbell himself produced them on the Josh Ritter record more than how Cobb produced them on The Nashville Sound. Which is a record I adore, but which I just think could use a little more punch to match the urgency of the songs.

Cobb is famous for moving very quickly and not doing a lot of takes, which I think is great in some situations, but leaves some of the songs less developed than they could be. I think someone else could have gotten more out of something like "Anxiety," for instance.

I don't know: I really like Cobb and he's obviously got an incredible track record. I'm not going to say no to any new Isbell, even if it's in the same vein as the last three. But four records in a row with one producer is a lot. It would be refreshing to hear what someone else might do with such a great songwriter and such a great band. To go with a parallel example, I really like how Dawes have made a point of working with different producers over the past 10 years. Each producer brings out different colors of what they have to offer. Including, I'm sure, Dave Cobb, who produced their next record.

Sailor's Guide sounds incredible, but Cobb had nothing to do with it; Sturgill self-produced.

I think the Highwomen album is lacking something sonically. It sounds very staid and dry to me. Kind of similar to how I feel about the From A Room records from Stapleton: incredible songs, a little demo-ish in execution.

25. jdr2187

jdr2187

I completely agree about Isbell. Obviously he had a lot of success with Southeastern so I don’t blame him for not straying far from what brought him a lot of that success over the past couple albums, but I am ready for something different.

Craig Manning likes this.