Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, I mean, if I had to pick a least favorite it probably would be that or "New South Wales," but I like both a lot. "New South Wales" feels tossed off in a good way, like he wrote it in 10 minutes, and "Super 8" is, like you said, a ton of fun live.

2. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I think as a whole album I like SMTF more than Southeastern.

Wasn't really able to get into the pre-Southeastern stuff last time I tried.

3. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Isbell, Justin Townes Earl, Horrible Crowes, and Brian Fallon have been the only thing I've been listening to the last 3 weeks. Oh, and some of Tom Petty's Americana leanings.

4. Craig Manning

Nothing wrong with this.

5. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I just barely got in to Jason Isbell. I can't believe I wasn't in to him sooner. I thought I hated anything remotely country sounding, but I started listening to Lucero and Honey Honey and that led me to Jason Isbell. So talented, I've been devouring everything he has done the past two weeks. Thanks to Jeff Nichols movies I've gotten really in to Americana and alternative country. I can't get enough!

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

Hit up the country thread! Those types of artists are exactly the types we discuss in there.

Also, really like the HoneyHoney album. She's apparently going to be featured on the new Butch Walker record, which is awesome.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

fenway89 likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

This guy has become one of the best live performers in the game. Caught his show with Josh Ritter tonight. Remarkable stuff. He's a real wizard on the electric guitar.

fenway89, jdr2187, zmtr and 1 other person like this.
  9. jdr2187

jdr2187

I was so dissapointed this show wasn't coming to Nashville. Isbell and Ritter are easily two of my favorite song writers and performers. When it comes to Ritter I can't think of anybody who looks happier to be on the stage than him. It's like he just can't stop smiling.

zmtr likes this.
  10. zmtr

Trusted

I've definitely noticed that about RItter

jdr2187 likes this.
  11. zmtr

Trusted

Man, Something More Than Free seems like a lifetime ago

fenway89 likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

This tour was weirdly short, wasn't it? I was surprised we got a date in Grand Rapids, because we rarely get much that's good.

But yes, Ritter definitely looks like he's having a ball onstage. Wish he had played for longer.

I'm hoping he's got something in the works for next year. He very rarely plays songs like until the studio versions have been released, so it's always tough to tell with him.

jdr2187 and zmtr like this.
  13. zmtr

Trusted

I was actually up at Grand Valley this weekend for my girlfriends sisters birthday but wasn't able to stay the extra day to catch this. So bummed.

14. Saw him a week ago in Louisville, holy hell man

15. Craig Manning

Nice! I was wondering if you caught one of the shows on this tour. Looks like you guys got "Relatively Easy." Would have liked to get that one.

16. Yeah that was the highlight of the show for me for sure. I know he rarely plays it and that's my favorite song hes written as a solo artist.

17. abw123

Trusted

When he plays Cover Me Up live........chills

18. zmtr

Trusted

Anyone check out his wifes record?

19. Craig Manning

I got that one when I saw him last year, so I didn't miss it as much as I would have otherwise.

Yep. It's good. You can hear him on it a lot, both singing backups and playing guitar.

20. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Found a live bootleg from a Washington DC show. Been obsessing over it lately.

21. ClydeJohnson

I've enjoyed Isbell since my 8th grade science teacher loaned out "Decoration Day", and his live Alabama album has been a once-a-month listen for a while. However, your comment pushed me to dig into SMTF and I can honestly say I completely agree with your post. Southeastern has some truly incredible songs but this is one incredible album through and through. Thank you.

zmtr and Gjpeace like this.
  23. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

Praise the lord

24. Craig Manning

So psyched. He just keeps getting better.

25. zmtr

Trusted

I said in the Fleet Foxes thread that their new record will be my number 1. This will tie it, hahaha.