Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Reunions is maybe my second favorite of his at this point as well which means third is...um controversial take

phaynes12 and Craig Manning like this.
  2. "To a Band" is not his finest for sure but I think it's totally adequate

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I kind of wish “Children of Children” was the closer, but that might be an unpopular opinion.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Brother Beck Jul 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 17, 2020)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

"To A Band That I Loved" is a pretty good song just in and of itself, but as a closer to an album of the caliber of Something More Than Free it falls a little bit short.

"Children of Children" would have made for a phenomenal closer, and the album going out on a song that strong would have been awesome.

I think I initially felt like SMTF was a little bit of a step down from Southeastern in large part because I was a little let down by both the opening song and the closing song. I always felt like the arrangement for "If It Takes A Lifetime" was a little hokey, but I've come around on that song in a big way lately.

* Edited to add that I got cut off and didn't get to finish my thought - I don't think it is a step down anymore at all. I don't know that I would call it a better album, but it is certainly equal and a more than worthy follow-up. I don't think it was even fair to think that the opener for the next album would be able to go toe-to-toe with "Cover Me Up".

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. zmtr

Trusted

Hudson Commodore is god tier Isbell for me

DaydreamNation likes this.
  6. abw123

Trusted

Here's a maybe hot take for you. I like Reunions, but it's probably his 4th best album to me. Southeastern is obviously #1, I would put Nashville Sound as clearly #2, and probably Something More Than Free #3 just ahead of Reunions.

7. SVXDan83

Regular

There's no shame in albums only having 10 tracks. Many of my favorite records have that many, or less. I think you'd have a much stronger 2nd half if you cut "To A Band That I Loved", moved "Speed Trap Town" to after "Hudson Commodore" and then closed with "Children of Children". Then you'd have a stellar run of 3 songs (Speed Trap Town --> Palmetto Rose --> Children of Children) consecutively to close the record out!

Craig Manning likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

My only issue with this is that I just love the run of "The Life You Chose">"Something More Than Free">"Speed Trap Town"

I'm not sure where else I'd put "Hudson Commodore" though.

9. SVXDan83

Regular

Yeah that's a tough one! I like HC enough that I wouldn't argue cutting it! It's almost like you need 1 more strong track to put on it to re-balance everything because suddenly the 2nd side starts getting back-loaded!

10. Craig Manning

Yeah, I don't dislike it really...just one of the rare cases where his storytelling feels more Wikipedia to me than something deeply nuanced or lifelike.

11. SVXDan83

Regular

Yeah, and I mean, let's face it... anything that followed Southeastern was bound to have weak spots in comparison! I think he does a great job now of handpicking the right material from the album to keep around in the live set where it seems to play better

12. jdr2187

jdr2187

13. Good.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  14. zmtr

Trusted

15. karcrashianpanache

hysterical and useless

"On Instagram, Sturgill Simpson joined Isbell in calling out the show for not mentioning Prine. “Don’t get it twisted…wouldn’t be caught dead at this tacky ass glitter and botox cake & cock pony show even if my chair had a morphine drip"

This made me cackle like a witch.... I need to go check out his music.

waking season and zmtr like this.
  16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it’s good

17. Craig Manning

Sturgill's continued bashing of the CMA and the CMA Awards is one of my favorite things. Never forget him busking outside of the awards a few years back.

DaydreamNation, phaynes12 and zmtr like this.
  18. Getting married this Saturday. Our first dance song will be "Cover Me Up." We're both in recovery. Thank you Jason for writing that song for us, means a lot.

waking season, jdr2187, JBoch and 8 others like this.
  19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Hell yeah. Good for you guys.

Brother Beck and DaydreamNation like this.
  20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hell yeah buddy