Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound (June 16, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Also, yeah, this song fucking rips.

2. zmtr

Trusted

meh..

it's a good enough song but I don't think i'll ever have the urge to listen again outside of the album

3. Doesn't hit me like a tone of bricks like "24 Frames" did the first time I heard it. But he's been very open about this record having a different tone.

4. Craig Manning

I think this kind of song is exactly what I wanted from him at this point. Angry, but hopeful.

dpatrickguy likes this.
  5. Anyone else notice in the EW article that "Anxiety" (track 6) is seven minutes long?

6. zmtr

Trusted

Yeah. I just need to change/lower my expectations. If he's aiming for more of a DBT type sound I already know I won't like this album nearly as much as any of his previous solo records

7. That single sounds nothing like DBT. And I'm a hardcore DBT fanboy.

8. zmtr

Trusted

I was going by that Hyden tweet.

9. Ah. Well we shall see. Worth noting that Jason wasn't even in the band anymore for Brighter.

I usually hate those people who hang out in threads and chase away anyone who has anything negative to say about one of their favorite artists, and it's looking like I'm gonna have to be careful not to turn into that guy in this thread haha.

10. Also, "High Road" is the second-to-last song on the record, and it feels perfect for setting up a big finish to me

11. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I was worried I wouldn't like the song, just because I love Southeastern and SMTF so much, but man this one hit really hard. We lost my wife's Grandfather in October and then November election has had me defeated and wishing 2016 down the drain, so this one speaks real loud to me.

zmtr likes this.
  12. zmtr

Trusted

I wasn't trying to be overly negative.

13. zmtr

Trusted

Just a little worried I won't love it nearly as much. I wouldn't dream of choosing this song over any single track from the last LP's.

The only artists I listen to more than Isbell (thanks again Craig) are Vernon and Gundersen. That's saying something haha. Not like I'm a casual fan or anything.

I'm sure i'll love this album.. Just a little underwhelmed by that song is all!

Craig Manning likes this.
  14. zmtr

Trusted

Since I have my last.fm open..

I started this account in September of 2015. And this only tracks what I listen to on my work computer through Spotify unfortunately.

All time artists:
    Bon Iver - 1,404 plays
    Noah Gundersen - 712 plays
    Jason Isbell - 694 plays
    Sufjan Stevens - 551 plays
    Phosphorescent - 489 plays

15. abw123

Trusted

This song sounds EXACTLY like what I hoped this album would. Awesome.

16. Craig Manning

Gotta thank @DaydreamNation too, since he was the one who got me into Isbell's records in the first place!

DaydreamNation likes this.
  17. Been following this guy for quite a while, it's unreal to me how popular he has ended up becoming. So great.

18. zmtr

Trusted

This gave me a good laugh

ChaseTx and Jeff like this.
  19. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

So musically, "High Road" makes me very happy. Lyrically, doesn't do much for me NOW because the subject matter is starting to wear on me a little. But I think because I'm so accustomed to deeply personal narratives from Jason, I didn't expect this type of song from him. I guarantee I will look back and feel that this song captured a mood and captured a moment, but IN the moment I'm just kind of meh about it because this type of commentary is everywhere around me.

Knowing the placement towards the end of the album makes me appreciate it more.

zmtr likes this.
  20. zmtr

Trusted

Definitely this. Palmetto Rose is a "heavier" song and it's definitely not my favorite Isbell song but it's PERFECTLY placed on SMTF.

21. zmtr

Trusted

I've listened to Southeastern and SMTF more than I've listened to most things in my life and every song still floors me. For my money Speed Trap Town is one of the greatest songs ever written.

I'm bored at work and almost want to rank the tracks hahaha

Matthewconte likes this.
  22. Craig Manning

"Cover Me Up," "Speed Trap Town," and "Elephant" would all contend for my "favorite song of the decade so far" title. "Cover Me Up" would probably win.

"Palmetto Rose" is probably my third favorite track on Something More Than Free, after "Speed Trap Town" and the title track. The bridge is so, so great.

23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I'm also super-bored so I'm definitely going to do that right now.

24. "Palmetto Rose" is the best song on SMTF. Except on days when "Children of Children" is haha

25. abw123

Trusted

Cover Me Up is his best song for me. By far. Heartbreaking song, incredible vocals.