Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound (June 16, 2017) Album • Page 29

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Interesting that he played a new one live. In the past, he's been against playing any new songs live until people have heard the finished studio versions.

2. zmtr

Trusted

Didn't he debut "If We Were Vampires" live?

3. Craig Manning

I don’t think so?

4. zmtr

Trusted

Looks like you already had the album at that point but it wasn't widely released.

I need to listen to this today.

5. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Can't wait for next Wednesday! First time seeing him and first non-festival Father John Misty show.

6. Damn, that video Craig posted has already been taken down

7. Also I think what he's said before is that he doesn't like to play songs live until they're recorded, not necessarily until people have heard the studio version. I could be wrong though. Either way, this is a promising sign. He has put out a record every odd-numbered year since going solo, just saying...

8. Craig Manning

That might be right. He just typically hasn't played much new stuff until his new albums have come out. I was starting to wonder if he might break his every other year streak, since we hadn't heard anything about it. Maybe it'll be a fall release, though.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  9. Could be fall release, could end up being next year. The guy has already put out four of the best albums to come out this decade so I'm not trying to get greedy haha

Craig Manning likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

Haha, true story. If he puts something out though, he would almost definitely lock down my artist of the decade title.

11. Don't think there's any question that he's clinched that for me

12. Craig Manning

Yeah, he's my frontrunner.

Craig Manning likes this.
  14. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Anybody who has seen this tour: who's going on first, him or FJM?

15. jdr2187

jdr2187

It was Isbell first when I saw him in San Diego, but I believe they are swapping it up.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this album was the first experience I had with Jason Isbell and I've been venturing back through older albums and "Flying Over Water" might be my new favorite song.

17. Craig Manning

Southeastern is unfairly stacked with perfect songs.

18. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

The stretch on Southeastern from Elephant to Live Oak is just so damn good.

Brother Beck and jdr2187 like this.
  19. jdr2187

jdr2187

I enjoy the stretch from Cover Me Up to Relatively Easy ;)

20. Craig Manning

That's my favorite bit too.

zmtr, jdr2187 and Brother Beck like this.
  21. You wanna talk unfair stretches let's talk Side A of Here We Rest

Brother Beck and Craig Manning like this.
  22. Craig Manning

Half the time that I spin my vinyl copy of that one, I just play side one twice. Haha

Brother Beck and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

The first six songs on Here We Rest are absolutely incredible. For me, they are easily on par with Southeastern and the albums he has put out since. That album runs out of gas so hard though. Would have made a great EP I guess... Leaving a track like "Brand New Stone" off the album has always struck me as such an odd decision, as the album really could have used another great song (or three).

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Gonna get tix to see him in september in NY and am hyped about it

25. I take your point about the second half not being as strong as the front half, but don't do "Tour of Duty" dirty like that

Brother Beck likes this.