Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound (June 16, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

There are three artists right now who have two albums each on my decade top 10. It's getting crowded, haha

zmtr likes this.
  2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I’d say Southeastern is the best album of the 2010s so far, at least. Probably going back further than that, too.

3. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I am so incredibly ready for this.

4. Craig Manning

It is definitely in the top five.

5. Craig Manning

6. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Definitely dampens my anticipation. Obviously still excited and expect it to be great.

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

See, I'm way more excited now

8. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

It's for super selfish reasons, but I still think Stockholm is my favorite song of his. Don't be mean! So if it's anything like that and Flying Over Water I'll be very very happy. Though, to be fair, It's Jason Isbell.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

If you read the article it says "almost half"
    Is uptempo & Loud....so 4 of those and 6 sad ones? Haha

10. Re: louder and faster album vs. slower and quieter album:

Also if y'all have never heard a fast sad song then we need to talk

Craig Manning likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

Yeah, there is a zero percent chance of this not being great, so I'm not worried. I trust him.

12. Ben Lee

I'm sure it'll be great, but will it make me feel things like Elephant and Speed Trap Town? Idk man.

zmtr likes this.
  13. Craig Manning

He could bash out nine rock songs and still have room for a crushing heartbreaker like that. I would bet on there being at least one very sad song.

Ben Lee likes this.
  14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I have to say reading that made me even more excited now too. I've always been a huge fan of his 400 Unit albums with their more uptempo, full band sound - it's just that he hit such an incredible songwriting high with Southeastern and Something More Than Free. The thought of him operating at that level with the whole band and a little bit of quicker, heavier sound is ridiculously exciting.

He's always been able to make me feel things with his songs, even the ones that rock out a little harder than his last two albums. Look at a song like Stopping By from Here We Rest. Plus, I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they said in reality it probably means 6 faster, rock songs and 4 slower tempo ones, which sounds like a great mix to me. But we'll see soon enough.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

Something More Than Free really felt like a full-band album to me anyway. "If It Takes a Lifetime," "Children of Children," "Palmetto Rose"...those aren't solo songs. And hearing songs like "Cover Me Up" live with the full band proves that they're definitely not going to take away any of the honesty or emotion of his songwriting.

16. zmtr

Trusted

I know it's going to be great but I certainly share your worries here.

17. Ben Lee

I mean we got Alabama Pines and Stopping By on Here We Rest, so I shouldn't say I'm too worried, I just love those solo records so much that I'm a little anxious.

A SINGLE RELEASE MIGHT FIX THAT.

zmtr likes this.
  18. Remember that one time Isbell wrote a pop-punk (kinda) song?

I actually like this song a whole lot

19. abw123

Trusted

In my mind the earlier full-band albums aren't as good as the past two, but not BECAUSE they were full band. I expect this to be magnificent. He's a confident songwriter and I'd love to hear his high quality type songs rocked out. For sure.

20. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Just bought tickets for Friday and Saturday at the Ryman. I've never been there or even to Nashville so I'm pumped.

21. Craig Manning

Man, I wish I could justify dropping like $1,000 to fly to Nashville, stay in a hotel, and go to two or three of those shows. I feel like seeing him at the Ryman would just be one of the best concert experiences ever.

22. I'm seeing him 7/1 in Cincinnati but yeah catching him at the Ryman is so tempting. The last three Ryman shows are the first weekend of my fall break, and as far as I know I'll be two hours north in Louisville. Probably gonna have to spring for at least one night (Sunday I think) for myself, my girlfriend and my brother at some point. Can't afford it for the next few weeks though because this week I'm in the process of blowing all my disposable income on My Morning Jacket's summer tour haha

23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I typically wouldn't be able to justify it, but we'll probably drive, airbnb and make it as cheap as possible, plus we just lost our apartment and all our shit in a fire and got the insurance check in the mail so I figured, why replace the $5,000 worth of records when I can do this? Really hope I like the new album.

24. Craig Manning

Shit man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

25. Wait it looks like most of the Ryman shows are already sold out lol no way