Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet (July 14, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, May 4, 2017.

1. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Finally got around to this. I am a big fan.

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

incognitojones likes this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Fantastic album, great for late night driving too

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This album is soooooo good I wish she had this at my tour date. The bass playing is like. One of my favorite things on an album of favorite things. Can't wait to see them with mannequin pussy and spirit of the beehive, that might be my favorite line up coming up this fall

cwhit and incognitojones like this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Does anyone else get Rilo Kiley vibes from the title track? This album is still fantastic btw, I'm very much a fan of people dabbling in shoegaze/dreampop pushing the voice to the front

7. cwhit

this fell off for me sadly, as a whole it definitely hasn't hit me as hard as the last

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Really? Definitely love this more than psychopomp atm, it took a minute but this definitely got there. What's it missing for you? More pop?

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I listened to it a lot more when it first dropped, but I still think it's great and listen to some songs quite often. The Body is a Blade is my go to rn.

10. cwhit

i don't know, really. there's definitely some follow-ups to records i love where i just feel something is missing. the songs really aren't sticking to me like the last one did. i guess that means my complaint is "songwriting" but that's too broad and definitely looks down upon the more musical aspects of the album. i gave it a bunch of listens and i like it but i haven't been compelled to go back much and that's a bummer.

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh, an expectations thing maybe? Personally, Michelle's stuff has always had to grow on me, more so because I hardly ever feel a pull to go back besides a specific song that makes me eventually love the whole thing. But this one feels like it's got everything for me, despite being more layered and dense than her other stuff. Definitely nothing here as immediate as "everybody wants to love you" or "the woman who loves you" but I think better songs overall

cwhit likes this.
  12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

It's steadily growing on me, but I agree with Casey - at this point I definitely don't like it near as much as the other one. It's really nice and easy to get lost in but not as much is standing out to me.

cwhit likes this.
  13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I'm only liking this more and more

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  14. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I've listened to this twice and really enjoyed it both times, but I haven't really felt that much of a draw to come back. Hopefully that changes because I really love Psychopomp.

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm excited to hopefully see these songs and actually be familiar with them. Also excited to hear their bass player

16. algae

Regular Prestigious

This is pretty much a step forward in every way imaginable imo.

Case go to the show and tell me this record doesn't bang I'll reimburse you

17. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

This is probably one of my more consistent listens over the last couple of months.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  18. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

This is one of my absolute favorite records of the year. I think it's wayyyyy better than Psychopomp, and feels more like a fully realized "album" to me than that one did.

19. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

^These are my feelings, and I really liked Psychopomp

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah, basically the same here. I think this release shows a ton of growth from what seems like her typical comfort zone

21. cwhit

i mean like i've seen her a few times with songs from this album and it's good! i like the album! just hasn't stuck w me p much

22. algae

Regular Prestigious

:-/ that's so disappointing, I've been a fan since the Little Big League stuff and this just feels like such a huge achievement

cwhit likes this.
  23. cwhit

the last one was one of of my fav of recent years so the standards were quite high, heh

algae likes this.
  24. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

will say because this is less poppy it will be less immediate and in no way does that make it bad. there was no one song like Everybody Wants To Love You that stopped me in my tracks. That being said, I do think it will be more likely to reveal itself in time and be a more cohesive world to live in than Psychopomp is. I felt it enough to buy on sight after one listen, I'm just still digesting and the lack of outright pop makes it something more in need of time to digest.

Not bad, just different!

EmmanuelSCastle, algae and cwhit like this.
  25. cwhit

they were good last night

also did a tiny desk set with some a string section