Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Japandroids Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TheVandyMan, Mar 14, 2016.

1. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

Japandroids is a Canadian rock band from Vancouver, British Columbia, consisting of Brian King (guitar, vocals) and David Prowse (drums, vocals). Japandroids' music has been described as "one part classic rock, one part punk," due to their blending of classic rock influences such as Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty, with punk rock influences such as the Replacements and Hüsker Dü.

Essential listening: Celebration Rock

2. Do we ever get another album? Haha.

3. TheVandyMan

My fingers couldn't be crossed tighter, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. Which would be disappointing, but not many bands have an album as close to perfect as Celebration Rock in their discography, so it's not like I'd have any right to complain. I love that they make music at their own rate, when they feel inspired, as opposed to just putting out a record for the sake of putting one out.

4. A NORTHERN SOUL IN SOUTHERN LANDS!

ChiliTacos, ChaseTx and TheVandyMan like this.
  5. Thanks @TheVandyMan now this is all I'm gonna be listening to tonight.

6. TheVandyMan

WILL ALWAYS FIND HIS WAY TO SOUTHERN HANDS!

7. TheVandyMan

I'd apologize, but I feel like I'm just doing my civic duty!

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. "She'll kiss away your gypsy fears."

Fuck this album is good.

TheVandyMan likes this.
  9. TheVandyMan

Celebration Rock and The Monitor have to be high up in the discussion for the best rock album of the past decade. But while I love The Monitor for its grandiosity and puffed up Civil War as metaphor for personal struggles thematics, this album is just so lean. Not a single note wasted.

"If I had all of the answers,
    And you had the body you wanted
    Would we love with a legendary fire?"

10. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Ive heard so much about this band but I hadn't listened to them yet (for some strange reason).

Im glad I finally fixed that.

Jason Tate and TheVandyMan like this.
  11. TheVandyMan

I'm glad this thread did its job! Glad you're enjoying them.

Timmiluvs likes this.
  12. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

The Monitor and Post-Nothing were actually the first two albums that I bought on vinyl. I think Celebration Rock is better, but I'm still impressed with my younger self that I picked those two records while browsing my local record store six years ago.

13. I think the back half of Celebration Rock is actual rock and roll perfection. The genre doesn't really get better than "Younger Us" and "The House That Heaven Built."

14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

If the cover weren't there, I think it actually would be a perfect album. The cover is okay, but it's nowhere near as good as their originals.

15. phaynes1

Regular

This is so true

16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've still not listened to Post-Nothing, despite its amazing title.

17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

wet hair is fantastic, i don't love the rest of post-nothing

also i heard that song for the first time in an AP.net turntable session, hahaha. thanks brian

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don't love PN much, but CR is fantastic

19. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Celebration Rock is so fucking good, easily in my top 10 of the decade.

If the cover was replaced with something original that was on par with the rest of the album, it would truly be a perfect album.

20. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I just bought a shirt of theirs that says "no gods. Just japandroids." After blaring CR for like a week straight.

21. CR is everything rock and roll was meant to be

22. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

"If I had all of the answers
    And you had the body you wanted
    Would we love with a legendary fire?"

Could be the best lyric ever written

ChiliTacos, Jeff and Zac Djamoos like this.
  23. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

I need a Japandroids shirt, CR is probably one of the best rock records of the last 10 years

ChiliTacos likes this.
  24. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

amen. its one of those records that once you hit play, there is no way you can turn it off before you hear those closing fireworks.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  25. local_corn

an existential crisis mixtape

I remember seeing them on the North American tour in December of 2012 and they played a snippet of a new song they were working on. Actually, they even played that snippet in July of 2012 when they played the Bowery Ballroom. Really hoping to hear something from these dudes.