Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life (Jan 27, 2017) Album • Page 33

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Oct 6, 2016.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

arc of bar is such an oasis song

this holds up better than i expected but i still don’t love it like CR or PN

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

sorry to bump, but what's been up with this band? Seeing Cloud Nothings pump out so much music reminded me that Japandroids have been silent for a bit

3. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I don't know a lot about North America but was in LA when this album came out. There was a huge push for it. The cover was plastered all over Hollywood, on park benches etc. I had planned to pillage Amoeba anyway so picked the record up. Thought it was properly rated -- not great, not terrible. But all that marketing (and associated budget) meant they had much higher hopes. Wonder if the lukewarm reception made the band's next move difficult..?

PS also picked up After The Party the day it dropped, even though it made me late for the airport. Made my wife run from Amoeba to the Days Inn on Sunset, where the taxi was (still) waiting for us luckily. Totally worth it. Listened to that record about 100000x more than Nearer the Wild Heart of Life. But would still like to hear more from this band.

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

They’ve said before that they’re not fast writers and don’t like feeling pressured to make music on a schedule. I wouldn’t expect anything from until next year at the earliest.

irthesteve likes this.
  5. Magic Rat

didn't they say there would be a much quicker turnaround this time? i feel like they mentioned having a bunch of other stuff ready to go that they were gonna release as singles or b-sides.

"true love.." and "no known drink or drug" are top tier japandroids, though cutting the outro on the latter has to be the most puzzling thing they've ever done.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  6. Magic Rat

btw i'm not sure if it's a running joke but there's no person on the planet who loves alliteration more than brian king haha.

Barresi likes this.
  7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I mean they released a live album this year

8. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I saw them in summer 2018 and they called it "the last show of the tour before they started recording the new album"

9. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

*A bad live album.

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

For what it’s worth, Cloud Nothings are freaks. It’s abnormal for a band to release so many great albums/eps in such a short time. Not really fair to compare other bands to them

Cameron, Zilla, Nick and 1 other person like this.
  11. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Did they quietly drop out of Shaky Knees and nobody noticed, or did I completely imagine that they were supposed to do a 10th anniversary of Celebration Rock set? Was hoping that was the first sign of some new shows/music.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

not quiet, it was announced

13. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Missed that, thank you!

14. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Need a celebration rock tour badly

smowashere likes this.
  15. did you see them at grog when they were touring the album? such a good show

16. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I was a big idiot back then and "didn't get the album" lol

Only time I've seen them is at Newport w/ Cloud Nothings on the last tour

gonz (Alex) likes this.