Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Japandroids Have Been Missed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Steven Hyden, writing for Uproxx, on missing the Japandroids and how to follow up Celebration Rock:

Japandroids make music that should, theoretically, be relatively easy to produce more than once or twice per decade. And yet, when you make a record as good at being simple as Celebration Rock is, it doesn’t leave you with a lot of options moving forward. If you repeat the formula, you have to compete directly with your most beloved record (and your audience’s distorted memory of that record). If you change up the formula (assuming you’re even capable of doing that), you run the risk of losing what people liked about you in the first place.

2. thesinkingship

D.Va 1 Bad Guys 0

That quote can apply to a lot of records and not just simple ones. ...Is a Real Boy comes to mind.

fran.182 likes this.
  3. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

Agreed, this seems like a pretty generic thing to say about any band following up a solid release. I'm always in favor of a little experimentation (even if it's failed).

fran.182 likes this.
  4. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Although I agree with the comments above, this was a good article. Need to dive back into the Beach Slang discography now. And keep dreaming of new Japandroids music.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Big fan of Steve Hyden after reading Your Favorite Band is Killing Me earlier this summer.