Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

JANK - Versace Summer (July 27, 2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Jul 20, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it always ends up happening this way though, look at the dakota (unraveler) situation from last year. that one still makes me sick

2. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

I'm going to assume that Matt's account is accurate, because we don't have any other information and to extrapolate based on nothing would be irresponsible and inflammatory.
    Which would be better though? Never saying anything and letting rumors about the band spread. Or admitting to something that was bad for both parties so that the situation can be addressed head on. The first one seems like erasure of the event to me and that's not good.

3. cwhit

That is a bad way to go through things: some victims don't want to speak out for varying reasons, and automatically trusting the abuser's account is not a healthy way to go through things

4. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

So what's your alternative? Assume that he's lying? He could have just as easily said nothing and no one would know that any of this happened

This just looks like a person that messed up trying to do the right thing.

Joel likes this.
  5. cwhit

band officially off the sorority noise tour

6. teebs41 Oct 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 3, 2016)
    teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Weird that there is no mention of it, just a new news post that says free throw and not jank

7. cwhit

There's no reason for them to do so, especially when the victim asked them to take down the original post to start with

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

lol I was clearly referring to no mention of them dropping off of the tour

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

they may have made a statement about not playing now but when I looked earlier they were just replaced on the flyer on sorority noise's fb page. Haven't had a chance to look

10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This whole situation is really unfortunate honestly, even as someone who barely listened to the band... I definitely think Matt was stuck in an unfortunate position in terms of whether or not to speak up at all, considering the rumors going around and their possible impact on his career, and I think he handled it better than many would have... that being said I wouldn't say it was handled WELL necessarily, and the situation having occurred in the first place definitely is uncomfortable to think about.

11. cwhit

they*, not he

180xSummer likes this.
  12. cwhit

i meant sorority noise, jank is basically dead on social media (and probably as a band too)

13. beachdude

What makes this difficult for me is that I don't know if there is a way to deal with a situation such as this that would have been the "correct" way or that could possibly satisfy most people. I personally feel like Matt OBVIOUSLY made a mistake. We can all agree on that. But is this something that should ruin someone's career when the person (appears to have) tried profusely to rectify the mistake in private, and believed the situation to be at least *somewhat* resolved? I don't really know honestly.

I just want to add my perspective, which may not be the thing that's "correct" to say, or sensitive to all sides, or whatever it may be, but it's honestly something that's been bothering me the more I see these types of situations arise in the public light. I want to preface it by saying that I do NOT condone sexual assault whatsoever, because I'm afraid that's what someone is going to try to twist this into saying. I've had friends who have been assaulted physically and sexually, and the cowards who do horrible things like that thoroughly horrify me. However... what's the line between a mistake that happens in the course of an interpersonal interaction between two people, and genuine assault that should result in legal punishment? This is important for social reasons in addition to legal ones... Can there be a situation where both parties admit a mistake was made, and the situation could've been handled differently, yet it doesn't fall into the realm of actual "assault"? Because, to ME, that seems more where this falls. Growing up and having to confront the issues of delicate social interactions and cues can honestly be *terrifying* for anyone, and some of us maybe haven't even fully gotten there yet.

I'm 21 and still haven't had sex, which I fully admit as this leads into my main point. I'm also on the autism spectrum, albeit mildly. But it's enough that I was often terrified of messing up in the kinds of routine social interactions that most people probably take for granted. I would have, and still have, conversations with friends or acquaintances and be terrified of missing cues telling me that I was being grating or rubbing people the wrong way, because it is legitimately HARDER for me than most people to pick up on those things... sometimes a lot harder. And that led me to be terrified of interaction with girls I would like, because I was terrified that I would mess up, terrified that I would say the wrong thing, or look awkward, or make the other person uncomfortable. Now imagine that same fear on the end of someone like myself, magnified exponentially when you're in a situation regarding sex with TONS of unclear social cues, signals, etc. You may take those things for granted, and know what to look for... I often don't, and I'm FAR from alone in that. Now imagine that same fear, magnified exponentially AGAIN by knowing that if you mess up and read the signals wrong, you could end up deeply hurting someone you care about, and maybe even end up with your reputation ruined, or even in jail. Do you see where I'm going with this? I just don't know how I can justify shaming someone for a horrible mistake they made that they've owned up to and tried to rectify, when it's all too easy for me to imagine myself in those same shoes... and it's not just an autism thing either. I'm NOT trying to trivialize assault, but when people try to say that there's some easy line that can be drawn here and on one side are decent, consenting individuals who are respectful of each other's feelings and on the other side there's horrible monster "abusers", with no area in between... It really, really, REALLY is not that simple. I'm sorry.

14. beachdude

There may be a better place to post that above post than this thread, but honestly I'm really interested to hear what people would think. I just think it's easy to oversimplify these things into a dichotomy of "good" and "bad" people, when it really isn't that simple at all.

15. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I agree with a lot of what you've said - interpersonal relationships are difficult and complicated and messy, and misunderstandings occur. Moreover, people make mistakes and should be afforded an opportunity to atone before being banished from a community (not saying that's what's happened here, just making the point in general).

Joel and beachdude42 like this.
  16. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Very well said. Something that I've been thinking about a lot lately.

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Absolutely agree with the above

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. cwhit

facebook and twitter pages gone
    update: friend told me band is dead officially, as we expected

19. cwhit

20. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

This whole situation is a lot. Very saddened by the chain of events.

21. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

At least they put out good music

22. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Are all these guys releasing on Spotify? I'm finally giving them a real listen and love them.

Do they only have one album and an EP?

23. cwhit

it's it, though I sort of hope it all just disappears and we forget about this band

GettingSodas likes this.
  24. GettingSodas

???

25. GettingSodas

I'll read the thread