Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer (April 27, 2018) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tucah, Feb 16, 2018.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It's all good haha I was just genuinely thrown off cus I didn't mean it mean at all. I just really really love this album

2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I think I'm just so unaccustomed to this style of music that I need to give it a few more listens before I can fully appreciate it.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  3. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I saw you said that you were wondering if this record was your thing or not, but this comment makes me feel like it might just need togrow on you? I say that because, I think this record is pretty diverse in its sound. Which would make sense if you don’t listen to a ton of stuff like this, I think. Hopefully it clicks or something, I love this record

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  4. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

So this album still fucks

5. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

It's fallen off for me a fair amount.

6. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Still my favorite album of the year.

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Screwed-Django Jane-Pynk-Make Me Feel is honestly the strongest 4 song run I can think of in recent memory, honestly unreal

8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

this is kinda crazy good

irthesteve likes this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

pynk is so good

irthesteve likes this.
  10. Bane

The spiciest meme

I'm so glad this popped up in my notifications I'm listening to it again and it's so gooooooooood fuck

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Yeah this album is tight as hell

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I still can’t get over the transition from Crazy Classic Life to Take A Byte. It kills me every time. The whole sequence from Dirty Computer to Django Jane just transitions flawlessly. Like all the songs on the album are amazing, but the flow of that stretch is unbelievable.

13. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I’d stretch that from Dirty to Make Me Feel, all absolutely stunning

14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea for sure idk I mean im talking about the transitions specifically. Like every one of the first six songs flows right into the other. Pynk to me is the first song that feels like the song changed instead of just that the album continuing. If that makes sense? But it doesn’t mean Pynk or any of the following songs are not as good of songs.

15. irthesteve

the Screwed to Django Jane transition always gets me super hyped, and having "let's get screwed" come back at the end of Django, the two of those songs specifically feel like one piece

16. irthesteve

How did I miss that "Make Me Feel" is a Julia Michaels/Justin Tranter jam? They are unstoppable

17. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Album has held up really well for me.
    Difficult to believe Pitchfork gave this a gushing review and it scored a 7. Then today they savaged the new Kanye album, and that also got a 7. To read both reviews you'd think one was a 9 and the other a 3.

jpmalone4 likes this.
  18. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Pitchfork should get rid of the # rating system. I pretty much ignore it on every review and I recommend every one else should too.

19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i like it because it allows you to understand what they politically think of things. you shouldn't take it seriously when it comes to quality

Owlex likes this.
  20. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I think that's def true in the case of the Ye review, but it actually just makes me angry. They didn't have the guts to just give it a 5 or whatever, as if there's a difference between a 6.9 and 1.0. Certainly when you read that review a passing 7 is way too generous and misleading.

21. cwhit

that's why you don't take it seriously and is it more as a passing curiosity in a way to analyze what trends they're looking for instead

22. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

What do you mean by the rating indicating a trend analysis?

23. cwhit

the ratings are more editorial choices rather than quality ones, the albums they decide to rate certain things leads to the trends they are trying to push, regardless of quality. you'll see pop records now that if they came out years ago wouldn't have even gotten a review. big indie rock records aren't shoe ins for BNM anymore. at the very least, for me, it's interesting following these trends of music criticism as opposed to taking them seriously and personal

jpmalone4 likes this.
  24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I looked at her setlist from last night and wow:

She actually does all of Dirty Computer I wasn't expecting that, plus still throws in the classics, though I do wish there were a couple more ArchAndroid tunes

This is going to be the show of the year.

ChaseTx likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

"Thompson features prominently in the glossy, album-length music video accompanying Monáe’s Dirty Computer, one of the most buzzed-about releases of 2018 so far. “Isn’t it such a good record? I am so proud to have been involved,” she beams.

The album is a riotous celebration of femininity, queerness, sexual fluidity and self-acceptance, with gleefully homoerotic content, including Thompson poking her head through the legs of Monáe’s ‘vagina’ trousers in the unashamedly suggestive video for the single Pynk. “I get text messages from friends that are like, ‘Would you please let Janelle know I came out to my family because of her?’” enthuses Thompson. “I think that work is really helping people and probably saving some lives.
    "