Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

James Cameron Working on Four Avatar Sequels • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Branding and merchandising are definitely a part of it. I think the first examples in that Forbes article were that kids don't play with Avatar action figures or play Avatar on the playground, haha. And I mean, you don't need that to have influence, but when you have none of the other things either, it's pretty bizarre. Especially since this was the movie where people were like, contemplating suicide because they wanted to live on Pandora or something.

2. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Oh absolutely. I mean, even most of my memories related to it were seeing it in theaters a couple times, but outside of that I dont remember anything else related to it (like quotes and character names as you mentioned). The example of kids not playing it on the playground was an interesting point I didn't even think of at first. Even for me as a kid I would play something Star Wars related with my friends on the playground and yet my younger cousins who should've been at the age to do the same with this movie never did. All in all, it's pretty damn strange. Interesting, but strange.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Kinda overkill, aint it? I guess it's better knowing ahead of time that there's 4 sequels are in the works rather than us getting sick of hearing about each new one being announced.

Raku likes this.
  4. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Why? Didn't he bore everyone enough with the first one. Taking a page from Tom DeLonge's book with quantity over quality it seems.

Raku and Osceola13 like this.
  5. Craig Manning

Oh, the other one I forgot: Sam Worthington was the star of Avatar but is otherwise not a star at all. When was the last time he was in a movie?

6. Timmiluvs

Uhh wasn't he in some Terminator movie? Or was that before Avatar?

But yeah, he never really had any other noticeable roles after that. I remember people thinking his career was gonna take off and then...nothing.

7. Craig Manning

I actually think that was before Avatar. Man, what a stinker that was. He was in those Wrath of the Titans movies. That's about all I've got.

8. Timmiluvs

And none of those were any good

Craig Manning likes this.
  9. Conor Oberst

Especially considering the first was highest grossing ever despite how awful it was (my opinion), this is the best example of waiting too long. Hasn't he spent the last, what, five years talking about four sequels lol

Raku likes this.
  10. Bet it still makes boats of money.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

Tough to doubt a track record like his.

12. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. Why 4?

Raku likes this.
  13. skoopy

Regular

Honestly curious to see how this will do. I'm not sure it has the staying power to hold up for a franchise after so long but I may be completely wrong.

14. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I think it'll still get a huge amount of fanfare. The world that he created in the first one was definitely really interesting and the visuals were insane. I think he's only going to take that further. I don't know how films 3/4/5 would do in the box office but I'm confident 2 would have an outrageous amount of hype for it

15. Does anyone care about these sequels? The first one was so long ago and all talk since the initial "wow" has been negative.

Raku likes this.
  16. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

I'll gladly sit them all out. First one was complete shit.

Raku likes this.
  17. Tylar

Well it's clear this is his passion project, because ain't no one asking for 4 sequels to Avatar. Cameron has got to make sure the writing is quality, which I have doubts about

Raku likes this.
  18. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

A ton of people will see the second one, and I'm sure it will make a ton of money but it will probably suffer the same fate as the first. I disliked basically everything about the Avatar except for the visuals, but even that got old to me after a while. Especially because as someone mentioned above, it's really all about the big-screen, 3D experience and I'm not a fan of 3D either.

Raku likes this.
  19. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I really admire what Cameron has done, but with all the money he's pouring into this, combined with the lack of lasting impact the original had, I can't imagine he doesn't end up losing money on this project.

Read those a while back... fascinating stuff.

20. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

He had a very small part in Everest. Thats the most recent thing I've seen him in, he has like two scenes maybe?

21. Craig Manning

Is there another hugely movie with a comparable fate? Seems like a really singular thing to me, which makes it even weirder.

I didn't even know that was a thing, haha

fenway89 likes this.
  22. Connor

Haha the movie? Or that he was in it?

23. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Could it be said that Avatar sparked renewed interest in 3D movies or am I just making shit up?

24. Connor

It definitely did, but that didn't really last long. Yeah movies still come out in 3D, but after Avatar EVERY movie was 3D. That has somewhat died down a bit.

Jacob likes this.
  25. jellyfishfossil

Regular

Four movies that most people do not want. The big news today is that Legendary pictures is bidding for a live-action Pokémon movie!

fenway89 likes this.