Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

James Blake - Assume Form (January 18, 2019) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

best part of the damn album tbh

2. PauLo Jan 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2019)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

See, pitchfork, that's why no one takes you seriously.

It's like a parody. "oh, it's getting universal praise? GIVE IT A SHITTY REVIEW"

stars143 and sophos34 like this.
  3. PauLo

43% Burnt

"suffocating seriousness"

It's his most playful and uplifting album to date!

4. azzy01

Regular

coleslawed, Kyle is hk and beachdude like this.
  5. zmtr

Trusted

good lord

beachdude and Rowan5215 like this.
  6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

It’s really transparent. It also seems like, oh we overrated his last album we have to make up for it by panning the fuck out of this one which is much better

Drew Beringer likes this.
  7. Horrorca

Trusted

P4k took the Rolling Stone route... they are mostly a joke review-wise nowadays but they do have some good reviews now and then

this one is clearly a joke

8. PauLo

43% Burnt

It don't think they're smart enough to write all that for a joke. It's just a contrary review for the sake of being contrary.

9. Horrorca

Trusted

joke as in “a person or thing that is ridiculously inadequate”

10. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

The writer is using too many laboured metaphors and dropping too many references to lesser known poets and writers for the review to not be serious.

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

This has to be the sharpest turn they've taken on a previous adored artist in recent memory. And it's not even close to justified with this record! I had a strong sense this wasn't going to get BNM or a particularly high score after they didn't post the review on Friday, but I didn't expect anything lower than a low 7.

12. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I'm not even worried about the score. The words should be able to adequately explain the number, but they don't and that bothers me a lot.

13. They're clearly just all e-angry about not being able to label him as a 'sad boy' anymore, fuck off Pitchfork

Joe4th and beachdude like this.
  14. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

P4k def picks their scores before a review is actually written and probably before anyone even listens to the album.

15. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I mean, it's a hilarious review but complaining about Pitchfork is also kind of boring tbh

16. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I kind of hate all album reviews tbh, not just Pitchfork's. Genuinely insightful ones are few and far between these days and none of them should have ratings. The Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down scale is the only good ratings scale and that requires more than one reviewer to have any meaning, which would lower the amount of review that could be written, meaning less clicks.

Kill Rating Scores. Promote good writing.

beachdude, sophos34 and CarpetElf like this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

Most music writing at the moment is absolute junk and scores are practically meaningless. I do think signifiers like Best New Music or Eureka on Tiny Mix Tapes are very useful though, because not every person will read a review or even have the time to do so, so it acts as a very helpful tool for shining a light on certain releases. I wish there was more music writing that dove into the ideas presented on an album rather than the good/bad type of criticism that is usually peddled.

18. mad

I was right. Prestigious

man I cannot stop listening to this, all the negative reviews are whack

beachdude, LWS, coleslawed and 3 others like this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

normally I’d agree but when it comes to an artist they’ve done nothing but praise and they suddenly turn on em for no reason, I think it’s worth pointing out they’re trash

beachdude and wisdomfordebris like this.
  20. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Daddy

22. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

23. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I love Moses Sumney on Tell Them.

coleslawed, LWS, OotyPa and 2 others like this.
  24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

beachdude likes this.
  25. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

irthesteve likes this.