Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jack White Tops the Charts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jack White has the number one album in the country this week:

The set — which was released on March 23 via Third Man/Columbia Records — earned 124,000 equivalent album units in the week ending March 29, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 121,000 were in traditional album sales — the largest sales week for a rock album in 2018.

Stevangelion likes this.
  2. CMilliken

Trusted

Unfortunately I just can’t get into this one.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Genuinely surprised he can sell that many copies.

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm scared to play this album and I really like Jack White

5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

If people buy tickets for his tour then they each got a copy of the album. Does that get included in album sales?

Album is awesome, btw. So many great undertones in the songs and the production is precise as shit. I would've lost my mind in the recording process.

6. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

Yes.

7. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I haven’t heard anything yet but people I know who like him haven’t been liking this one. Maybe it a grower...

8. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I feel like I missed the whole Strokes/White Stripes moment... and given the pop punk backgrounds of many users here I doubt I'm alone. It seems like while I was listening to Green Day, Blink and Sum 41 the 'cool' kids were literally comparing The Strokes and White Stripes to The Beatles v Rolling Stones. By the time I knew about them they had moved into hugely popular but not so acclaimed territory (Juicebox/Seven Nation Army). So I've only recently come to realise just how revered Jack White (and Julian Casablancas) is among some circles. Can anyone provide some insight into that whole early-00s rock revival hysteria?

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  9. Kiana Apr 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2018)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

What kind of insight? I was a fan of the 00s indie (i guess?) rock boom but I wasn't part of a "scene" or anything. I heard Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City, 2001-2011 is supposed to be an interesting read from that era but I haven't gotten around to it. Some great music came from that time. Bloc Party 4 life.

10. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I'm not sure I guess I just never realised how "important" those bands were. I think of White and Casablancas as guys from popular bands. Others view them as absolute music legends.

11. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I'm one of the ones that view them as legends. The Strokes/White Stripes were two of the bands that set the stage for a bunch of the other bigger bands that came out of that era - The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, The Bravery, etc.

I always enjoyed this read..
    How the Strokes — and the Early-Aughts New York Rock Boom — Went Bust

12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Thanks, will check it out. Was a wrong time wrong place scenario foe me and I'm just learning about the impact of these artists. I guess i didn't need "this generation's beatles" when i had International Superhits lol.

13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I feel pretty similarly. I read Meet Me in the Bathroom recently, and it's interesting, but mostly I was just scratching my head going "Really? People were going this wild over these guys?" I like White more than The Strokes, though, who I think are wholly unremarkable.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I feel the SAME way lol. Over the last weekend I tried listening to jack's new one, and when it did nothing for me I went into apple music and tried to go over some white stripes stuff and I just couldn't find myself drawn to it, and my immediate reaction was not that "this is bad music" or maybe not even that it's just not my thing, because i like weird stuff, i think i just missed when this was big and now i can't get around to it.

15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I was always one foot in/one foot out with the genre/era. I really like certain songs and others I don’t, but I’ve always appreciated the musianship and attempt. That’s why I’ve always paid attention.

16. SEANoftheDEAD Apr 3, 2018
    SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I got into The Strokes/White Stripes later than when they both initially came out, but now enjoy both much more than the stuff I was into in 2001 - Blink/Green Day/etc.

That being said, this new album is garbage.

Also - The Strokes >>>>>>>> White Stripes

17. Kiana

I mean I think it just depends what ur into to determine who u consider legends. Lots of people might consider some pop punk musicians as legends that others would be like who or wtf. It just kinda depends on who the pioneers are in ur fave genres. I consider the good sis Britney Spears a living legend and the pinnacle of pop music and others think she's just a talentless washed up popstar. Seems like it's a lot of perspective.

18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

This is a valid point. Some artists are considered legends whether or not you're into the genre though too, such as Michael Jackson or Bob Marley.

19. Kiana

Yeah I think there are musicians we all kinda accept are legendary or iconic and their recognition transcends any specific music style and then there are more niche genre legends and I think both are valid.

20. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Most def!

21. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

And from what I can gather it seems there is a not-small contingent of music fans who would consider The Strokes and The White Stripes to be in that legendary-regardless-of-personal-opinion category. That's what I struggle to comprehend.

22. Kiana Apr 3, 2018
    Kiana

Oh I dunno. A lot of those bands had a cool magnetic presence so I could see some deification stemming from that. I mean I remember being young and feeling like lots of bands from that era had a cool flair and swagger I was drawn to on top of enjoying the music. Add passionate/dedicated fans to the mix and grandiose comparisons happen. They were part of a "revival" lots of ppl felt connected to. I guess I see that behavior in all genres so idk. Maybe I just haven't seen it or it doesn't feel anymore ott than other ott fans idk

23. Congrats to Jack, those are some pretty good numbers.