Jack White Banning Cellphones From Tour • Page 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Fucking Dustin

When you walked into my life and we connected Supporter

Who was that band that used to just offer DVDs of the show you went to?

Maybe it was Linkin Park for a little while hahaha I can't remember but I loved that idea

Analog Drummer likes this.
  2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Metallica sells audio of every show, and they usually put up video on YouTube for at least one song from every show. I think LP did something like that too in the past. I'm not sure how much it deters people from taking their own videos, but it's still a cool idea.

3. TerrancePryor

twitter.com/terrancepryor Prestigious

If it avoids bullshit like this from happening, I'm for it.

4. Fucking Dustin

When you walked into my life and we connected Supporter

I like that @DandonTRJ posted a great and practical idea, and that you were appreciative enough to acknowledge it alongside my equally great and equally practical idea

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. Something like this:

[​IMG]

Vysk | QS1 Quantum Security Case

Make it more streamlined but just block out the cameras and microphones.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Your idea is the future of concerts, I'm sure of it.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  7. Craig Manning

"Need" is a strong word. But there have been 2-3 times where people needed to get in touch with me about urgent/emergency things. And when I write about shows, I use my phone to take notes about the show. These aren't like make or break things, mostly, but I guess what I'd say is that there have been more shows where I've been very thankful to have my phone than there have been shows where other people having phones infringed upon my enjoyment. If that makes sense.

I'd just say artists/venues should just ask people politely to use their phones sparingly. A few people will ignore it, but I think most fans would be respectful about it. Maybe.

AshlandATeam and RileyWitiw like this.
  8. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

No, I wasn't. Haha, maybe I got too fired up about this, but I would just really hate to see it catch on. I just find it really frustrating when people overlook nuances and extenuating circumstances with absolute, overarching rules like this.

9. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Fair. I thought the same & was not planning attending but that led me to support this move instead of opposing it. Interesting.

10. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

lol fuck that. don't tell me what to do, jack. also seems like a safety risk. anyway, i guess it's not that i was ever actually gonna go to one of his concerts anyway.

11. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Why does it matter? If anything you're playing for MORE people if it gets shared or saved for later. I wouldn't care if it was me unless I was insecure I'm being recorded for the lols.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. I love to record snippets of my favourite songs to share for others and save for later. Obviously there's extreme cases like phone flashes be distracting or someone obstructing your view with a phone for the entire set but those are exceptions. That's the same as people just waving their hands or having people on their shoulders in front of you.

12. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I can respect this opinion, I just had the opposite experience. More shows have been ruined by people with their phones out than I have benefited from having my phone. Maybe this is an extreme solution to the problem, but I think an artist should have the right to do something if they think phones were going to inhibit their show.

Jonathan and Craig Manning like this.
  13. Craig Manning

Definitely a right that artists can choose to exercise. I wonder how the service gets paid for, though. An extra fee on the tickets? I think that would be a shame.

suicidesaints likes this.
  14. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

It's honestly not even about phones to me... Just the pprinciple haha.

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Good question. I'd assume that whatever extra costs are incurred would probably just be rolled into ticket costs, just because that's how most businesses work. Easier to pass the bill along to the consumer, especially when there's no standard for what the ticket price would be with/without this feature.

16. theredline

Regular

17. Craig Manning

Yeah, I’m sure that’s the case as well.

18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular

[​IMG]

19. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Shouldn't care if it's a face or phone. Not exactly hard to comprehend.

20. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular

Well, that's up to the performer to decide if he cares or not. For example, Jack White cares.

21. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Hence why I think he's being just as obnoxious himself. He needs to get with the times.

22. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular

Why should any artist tour, then, instead of just playing in front of their webcam?

Analog Drummer and suicidesaints like this.
  23. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Because otherwise they won't generate the same profits. Nonetheless, they do that too (ie musicians on YouTube). Lots of artists hate touring anyway.

That said, a crowd with some people having phones out doesn't mean they're zombies/unengaging. Even if someone didn't have a phone out doesn't mean they'd be boisterous enough to freely 'clap along' like Jack White wishes. The crowd aren't the performers. Heck, he also moaned about people being preoccupied by having drinks in their hands.

24. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Would be interesting to see how they make a case for this and iPhone X, since you need the facial recognition cameras. Granted, using this case and being required to use my passcode instead is an extremely small cost to pay to have your device at a show.

EDIT: You'd need one that doesn't block out the microphone for the phone though. I see that this case provides confidential voice calls, but is that an extra fee? If the microphone is covered, I'm curious how that works. I'll read into this more later, pretty intriguing stuff.

25. Jacob

Untrusted Prestigious

The funny thing about people recording the whole show is it's literally just something they think they're supposed to do. No one is watching all 50 of your snapchats and you're not going back to it later to watch a bunch of blurry colors shaking everywhere and listen to your audio clipping out.