Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jack White Banning Cellphones From Tour • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I imagine this probably slays on college campuses/schools/things of that nature

2. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

They do this in Denver, at least at both Comedy Works locations.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

That to me is awesome especially considering how much thievery happens in comedy

Max_123 likes this.
  4. Fucking Dustin Jan 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 24, 2018)
    Fucking Dustin

At the end of the day though it is an "If you don't like it don't go" thing and that's okay with me as long as it's known to be the policy before purchase

I guess my philosophy is: If it restricts me from receiving a call/text, I'll never ever go to a show that implements it. If it doesn't and I can still at least hear I got a call/text, I'll put up with it.

5. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Exactly! Believe it or not Jack White, your concert is not the most important thing going on in other people's lives. And I'm not going anywhere I'm not treated like an adult capable of using my own judgement. He can go teach high school if he wants to restrict phone usage.

6. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

Ugh. I feel so old. I can remember going to concerts where there weren't any cell phones at all. There was no feeling of even needing a phone during the concert.

7. That's actually a good idea.

8. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

I can only speculate, but putting myself in the position of the performer, I can see how it could really suck the energy out of the room to see a good portion of your audience interacting with their phone rather than your music. I've always thought of concerts as a sort of symbiotic experience -- the band feeds the crowd energy, and vice versa.

theredline likes this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Exactly! People went to concerts for a long, long time without a cellphone. You will be okay if it doesn't work for a couple hours.

10. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

He’s a hack. He sounds like a rip-off of The White Stripes

Serenity Now and Tata Toothy like this.
  11. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

Exactly. He even tries to sing like the guy from the White Stripes.

oldboot, SuNDaYSTaR and Jonathan like this.
  12. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

I actually don't mind it, like I mentioned earlier they do this at comedy shows. The only thing I dislike is how large the actual pouch is itself, you can't really put your phone in your pocket. It's not a big deal when you're sitting down with a table in front of you but it would be rather annoying having to carry the pouch around.

Zilla and Jonathan like this.
  13. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

If it stops me from having to tap through some jokers snapchat story filming the entire set I am for it heh

slimfenix182 and Jonathan like this.
  14. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I went to a Haim show before the new album release that used these pouches and I loved it. No one was looking at their phones and checking what time it was, no phones in my eye sight, everyone really was engaged.... I would love to see more of this

Serenity Now and Jonathan like this.
  15. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I've been to a few shows where they've used Yondr pouches, most recently at the John Mayer/Dave Chappelle Controlled Danger show. You get to hold onto the device, so it's not awful. I also like having my phone incase of emergency with family, etc.

That said, I always have my Apple Watch, I can take calls through that now, and dictate messages. I don't need to snap photos or videos at shows, it's an inconvenience to other people, and it always sounds like garbage anyways.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  16. Fucking Dustin

Oh yeah I didn't think of the Apple Watch factor haha, I guess if Apple Watches and the like became more of the norm I'd be very okay with it.

Frenzyofdeceit and dylan like this.
  17. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I imagine if they become more the norm, they'll ban those too, unfortunately. I think each time door people just haven't bothered looking at wrists.

18. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

It really is fascinating lol

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  19. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Now that would be ridiculous, it's not like you can take photos/record video with them

20. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

yeah they should make their pouch look more like a running armband without the actual armband part. the phone is inside the pouch so you can't use the cameras, but you can still see and interact with the screen when you need to through the plastic see-through film.

Frenzyofdeceit likes this.
  21. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Sounds like a great idea, especially if the film was able to dim the brightness (because that in of itself is annoying.) May be difficult getting a material you can type with over your phone, though. Maybe Yondr 2.0 will figure this out.

Seriously, no idea what their business model is unless they make a good deal from the artist to rent out the bags/removal devices. They're very basic, similar to anti-theft devices on clothing that require a key to unlock.

Probably right, I sure hope so.

22. pretentious bellend. fucking hate him. people spending their hard-earned money to see him and this is what he demands they do? fuck off Jack White you absolute prick.

23. Fucking Dustin

It'd be cool if instead of banning phones from the show he held his show on a 2 hour long giant roller coaster so no one would want to risk dropping their phone on the roller coaster

24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I take it you're not going?

25. It's Jack White we're talking about, not Matt Bellamy