Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jack Johnson Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Aug 24, 2017.

1. irthesteve Aug 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2022)
    irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

• Brushfire Fairytales (2001)
    • On and On (2003)
    • In Between Dreams (2005)
    • Sleep Through The Static (2008)
    • To The Sea (2010)
    • From Here To Now To You (2013)
    • All The Light Above It Too (2017)
    • Meet The Moonlight (2022)

2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I'll always have a soft spot for Jack! Just wish this would've come out in the summer!

irthesteve likes this.
  3. I was thinking about him earlier this year and was wondering what he'd been up to.

And yes, should have been released in June or July.

truelovewaits likes this.
  4. irthesteve

out now!

5. trout wow!

6. Gooddayz

always and forever

Just start and subplots is sounding real nice. Never heard any of his albums all the way through so this will be my first.

Edit: Actually I may have heard In Between Dreams once a while back.

7. Gooddayz Sep 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2017)
    Gooddayz

always and forever

Dang I just read on wiki this album was suppose to be releasing in June, but then he decided to go surfing lol

kyle likes this.
  8. irthesteve

sounds about right!

Gooddayz likes this.
  9. irthesteve

In Between Dreams is definitely my favorite, but On and On, Brushfire Fairytales and even To The Sea are really solid. Hell, the last one was really good too! He just makes really solid chill music to surf to haha

10. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah I would figure In Between Dreams is his best. I was liking the singles he was releasing and this turned out pretty good. How would you rank this to his others?

11. irthesteve

Tough to say after one listen, it seems the most relaxed and low key, but not in a bad way. I don't think it'll be a favorite of mine but it's still good

12. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah nothing wrong with that haha. I really like the moments when it breaks into an acoustic outro like in Daybreaks & Is One Moon Enough?

13. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Very disappointed on first listen. Sounds like he's coasting after a really solid last album. Unfortunately summer's over so I don't see myself giving it many more chances either.

14. Gooddayz

always and forever

I enjoyed it, but I don't have much context to his older material. What made it so disappointing compared to his previous work to you?

15. Matt Chylak

His best albums (first three) have a joy of discovery, as he takes songs that he wrote between surf sessions and figures out how to record them with friends. There's a clear trajectory too -- from bare bones acoustic ditties to further instrumental experimentation to a major label budget and the enhanced production that comes with it. On his latest one, he kind of just sounds like he needed to put an album out because it's been a few years.

Also, the songs are consistently better on earlier projects. He's got some great songs on his later albums (especially Sleep through the Static), but those first three have his best jams.

irthesteve likes this.
  16. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Been listening to this one over the last couple of days and really enjoy it. Will have to give From Here To Now To You a listen as well, as I missed that one for some reason - To The Sea was the last one for me.

Gooddayz likes this.
  17. irthesteve

Turning this into a band thread instead of an album thread. New album, Meet The Moonlight, out this June!

We're excited to announce Jack’s eighth studio album and first full-length release in five years, Meet The Moonlight, produced by Blake Mills (Alabama Shakes, Perfume Genius, Jim James), engineered by Joseph Lorge and recorded both in Los Angeles (at Sound City and EastWest Studios) and The Mango Tree in Hawaiʻi. The album will be released on June 24th to coincide with the start of this summer's tour. The album's lead single "One Step Ahead" is available now on your favorite streaming service or when you preorder the album.

18. Matt Chylak

Song’s good and he maintains his beautiful album cover streak. Happy with this.

irthesteve likes this.
  19. irthesteve

new song definitely growing on me more, really cool musical bed on this one

20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the new album got a decent score from p4k surprisingly, didn’t know blake mills produced it

21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Honestly one of the best Pitchfork reviews I've read in a long, long time. I lost track of Jack Johnson for awhile, but the Blake Mills collaboration got me interested to check this out last week, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I dig it.

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. irthesteve

It's definitely enjoyable, some really nice instrumentation