Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jack Antonoff on the Dark Secrets of Good Pop Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sam Schube, writing for GQ:

This is new. Antonoff, now 33, used to be a secret weapon. He started touring the country at 15, was signed to legendary pop-punk label Drive-Thru at 18. And then he linked up with some old touring pals to write world-eating pop jams as Fun. You remember the songs—“We Are Young,” “Some Nights”—because they destroy at weddings, bar mitzvahs, graduation parties, and bars. Along the way, he became something of a pop guru—not a gun for hire, but the rarest kind of collaborator. Armed with his own sonic signature, forged in vans and clubs and small theaters and bedrooms, he also had a willingness—a need—to be a true partner.

2. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Sounds interesting. I’m gonna have to read this later

3. Man I love how he dissects approaches and creates music

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This is such a great way to approach this. I'm not smart enough to notice the differences, but it certainly works for him.

Essie likes this.
  5. bodkins

Trusted

Just started the article but I totally remember Jack putting up photos with this dude on his Instagram haha.

6. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

There was a scene in the film 'Once' where, having recorded a record, the producer character told Glen Hansard, yeah the record sounds great in here but let's go test it out on some shitty car speakers.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  7. Analog Drummer

Regular

System of a down would test all songs in recordings in their cars (prob not shit speakers, but same deal)

8. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I feel like this is the first time I’ve heard him bring up fun. in a minute.