Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

J. Cole - K.O.D. (April 20, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tdlyon, Apr 19, 2018.

1. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I'm really interested in listening to this one if I can make it through all of the J. Cole stans clogging up Twitter without throwing my phone in the river.

2. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Nope, not feeling it. First half is thoroughly mediocre. The back half has so many interesting avenues but he runs over every single pothole. And, as corny as a metaphor as that is, it would be nice if Cole could make more efforts at expressing his ideas in a more artful way instead of stating everything with such blunt obviousness like a corny step-dad trying to be the man of the house. The storytelling is solid enough, but he still doesn't say anything that hasn't been said much better and with more thought to craft. Dude cares more about his clunky Facebook status messages than the musicality. The beats are Starbucks PA grade.

I'm really disappointed. I was genuinely hoping that this would be a step forward.

3. Maybe it’s just because I went in not expecting much but I think this is pretty good

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

It leaves a better first impression than his last album did, but isn't anywhere near his first 3 for me. Not bad though.

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah I'd definitely say that the only studio album that this is better than is 4YEO but I'm a pretty big Cole fan so I like all of his stuff

I doubt he ever tops FHD honestly

6. The Lucky Moose Apr 23, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 23, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

7. This is better than 4YEO if only because it doesn't have a song about doing laundry and drinking almond milk on it. But in all honesty, as someone who historically has not loved J. Cole, this is my probably favorite project from him so far

Collins likes this.
  8. yeah I really enjoy this record

9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I got bored listening to this

10. CheapPop

Regular

I really enjoyed this record, been listening to it non stop since it dropped. I'm a Cole fan, but his last album was pretty disappointing. This is already way better than that.

It's not his best record (I think FHD is his best) but this is still really good. The second half is better than the first half though.

11. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Both videos have been good.

12. dallasc

Trusted

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

It is impressive though because it was all 4,560 of J Cole’s fans listening non stop.

14. Collins

Trusted

This is basically how I feel. I’ve never been into anything he’s done before, but this has a good vibe throughout. Good night listening

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Still need to hear this. Ok, maybe not NEED, but I'd like to spin this at some point, especially it's an improvement over 4YEO, which wasn't bad

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I find it really disconcerting that J. Cole is still on his "Put on a sweater young lady. You need to earn your respect" shit. I find that more off-putting than any of his other attempts at moralizing.

17. The Lucky Moose

The message of this album has become a lot more pressing again recently within hip hop

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

New song in 2 days

19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Assuming it's for that Dreamville project, though I would be pleasantly surprised if there was another new Cole album already

20. The Lucky Moose

It’s the Dreamville album

21. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I came back to this a lot during the end of last year. Excited to see what he does next, especially on a T Minus beat.

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

T-Minus actually did Kevin's Heart from this album too in case you didn't know

23. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

This was not thst good

24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah new song's alright, nothing special

25. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I really enjoyed it.
    I always love about half his albums. Enjoy uptempo cole much more than balladrap cole