Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

J. Cole - 4 Your Eyez Only (December 9, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Joe, Dec 1, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm, starting to think he has no features because no one wants to hang out with him anymore

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Oh man now we're judging an artist based on how some of his fans that use Twitter act. Guess what, people that use Twitter and talk on it about rappers are also part of the bubble.

I know, I know, that's just among other things, apparently he's also "sleep inducing" and "corny", two profound points of musical criticism. See you guys around, this thread is... corny.

3. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean obviously it's dumb to us who do a lot of listening to music, but I can see how that maybe is impressive to a very casual listener of music

4. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

5. cherrywaves

Trusted

I agree with what Craig Jenkins says about him. Pretty succinct assessment

6. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

j cole could make classic albums from here on out and his "planez" verse would be bad enough to justify clowning him for the rest of his life.

Aregala, TheWater(s) and cwhit like this.
  7. I was hoping this derivative discussion wouldn't come up in this thread, but whatever I'm naive. Every big artist has annoying fans and fans that give hyperbolic praise. I never understood why liking J. Cole got people so riled up.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I genuinely liked his last album but this one's really subpar imo. I liked the first track (possibly influenced by thinking it was an opener for better songs) but the instrumentals are just so boring and lyrically, corny is the word. I also don't think Deja Vu was worth putting on the album at all. I get that Boi1da was ripped off by Tiller's producer but this far out from Exchange getting massive airplay, putting that beat on an album just seems tacky to me.

9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Have heard this twice all the way through and it's probably the weakest of his studio albums so far (at least Born Sinner had Power Trip on it), but it's still interesting music, and I think the last song is really powerful and well-done. The two She's Mine songs are really pretty too. Maybe the whole thing will grow on me more

Cole isn't one of my favorites in the game or anything but I genuinely like almost all of his work

10. OhTheWater Dec 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2016)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I don't believe anyone is saying he can't/shouldn't be criticized. Some of my students love Chris Brown too, it doesn't mean anything. Once again, I believe that my posts about personal convos about Cole were me being devil's advocate or speaking on behalf of kids who genuinely like his music and see him as a positive figure. Trust me, I've spent the last few days trashing him in a group text I have

11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Cole does seem like a genuinely great guy actually

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  12. irthesteve

Yeah but I know plenty of genuinely great guys who I don't need to hear rap either

TheWater(s) and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  13. OhTheWater Dec 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 9, 2016)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

EDIT:
    Tbh I don't really care about this dude enough to the continue the conversation

14. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

15. irthesteve

good lawwd that video...

16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

HE'S USED MORE WORDS THAN ANYONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE RAP GAME. J.Cole, more like J.Thesaurus. Am I right?

I like this album, but that video is pretty dumb.

Joe likes this.
  17. irthesteve

If someone rapped the entire dictionary, they'd automatically be the new king I suppose

18. cherrywaves

Trusted

Well...

Joe and irthesteve like this.
  19. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

20. Damn, that's crazy^

I still think the crazy J. Cole stans are a vocal minority, but I liked this, especially for that intro ha.

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Can we admit that the title track on here is fantastic yet

Joe and The Lucky Moose like this.
  22. Is that the last track? I thought the last track was really good, but I only listened the one time

23. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah it is, it might be one of his best songs ever rapping and storytelling wise

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

25. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Album is soft