Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

IT Professionals Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by HelloThisIsDog, Apr 1, 2016.

1. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

my "boss" seriously just sat down next to me and said "Hey matt i got nothing to do today so I figure i'd come sit next to you all day". Probably a stupid thing to be annoyed at but like dude, slack exists for a reason. If your gonna have me tediously set-up open stack environments all day, let me listen to my music ahaha. I can't stand when people come and watch over my shoulder all day. Leave me alone and let me do my work.

crunchprank likes this.
  2. TotesAndGoats

Bear

We have a support person that complained a lot about not "feeling important enough" so they started assigning them small development tasks. Mostly fixing spelling errors on pages, updating some localization stuff, the like.

The other day, this person was asked to make a link open in a new tab, but only that one link. The first iteration of their fix made all links on every page open in a new tab. The second iteration made it so all links except for that one disappeared, but that one link opened in a new tab.

They didn't fully test the functionality of other pages, so they checked it in, it went through our QA process and we caught that all of these links were missing. The "bug" was assigned to me to look into.

This person had added/modified hundreds of lines of code in a view model in order to make the one link work. In the process, they had broken every view that used that model by removing the properties they were using.

So I rolled back all of the changes and started from scratch.

End result was one line of code needed to be added to the view in question. No need to touch anything else. The property was already there to append "_blank" to the link when necessary.

They spent hours creating the problem, I spent an hour trying to sort out what they had done...all to add one line of code to one view.

I'm all for helping people develop in their careers and pursue better opportunities, but it's hard not to get frustrated about things like that sometimes.

3. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Ugh, I know that feeling. I've been dealing with something similar. We have our own development team for a certain IBM product line, but the developers we hired are basically just application admins because they have zero development skills. Needless to say, whenever there is an issue with their code, they come to me to fix it. I manage the servers that the application runs on, I don't develop the application. So there I am digging through lines of code to try to fix the problems while they sit back having a jolly time. I don't have time for this, I have a full plate as it is!

Long story short, the industry needs competent developers.

4. danielalee12

Regular

hey do any of you have experience setting up IP ranges on a CentOS server? I could use some help if ya know how!

5. TotesAndGoats

Bear

What are you trying to accomplish? Is it providing or acquiring addresses?

6. matthaber

never used centOS , mostly ubuntu. But I have some redhat experience which is very similar (if not the exact same) so feel free to ask away

7. danielalee12

Regular

I'm very new to setting up ip's so bear with me.... my cto gave me five /27 ranges to set up on a server. I went into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and added the ifcfg-eth0-range0-4 files. I then restarted the network. Once I restarted the network, I can successfully ping ranges 0,1,3, but the I cannot ping the other two ranges.

I should also say that I do not really understand networking. I googled "add ip range to centos" and followed the tutorials given. It doesn't make sense to me why 2 of the ranges do not work, since all five followed the exact same process to be set up.

8. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I'm probably shooting in the dark as well but have you got the CLONENUM_START in each of the files set up correctly so that they aren't overlapping?

9. danielalee12

Regular

Yeah, I made sure that they're not overlapping. All ~150ish ip's are attached to the same NIC (eth0). Do you think that's the problem?

10. matthaber

can you post what you have in the contents of the ifcfg-eth0-range0 files? preferably one that is working and one that isnt.

11. noxee

Regular Prestigious

It seems to be a point that a lot of people stress to make sure that the CLONENUM_START do not overlap otherwise they will overwrite each other.

12. NotBruce

Regular

Catching up on this thread but man, I hate Remedy. We just moved over to Cherwell, which in my opinion is infinitely better. Remedy was the bane of my existence.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Good to know Remedy is still garbage. I hated that system so much.

RyanPm40 and NotBruce like this.
  14. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Currently support desk, but slowly transitioning into infrastructure. I'm the Active Directory admin which is sort of a huge task, but looking to get into setting up servers, etc. soon.

15. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I'm a systems engineer for Linux application and web servers. Feel free to message me with any questions!

16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Freelance or do you work for a company? I'm thinking of getting Microsoft certs going forward because I didn't think many organizations invest in Linux applications. I tried Cisco, but that seemed too narrow as well.

17. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I work full-time for a pretty big health company. You'd be surprised! There are tons of companies that run linux!

18. noxee

Regular Prestigious

Screw node, NPM, Jenkins, AWS, Java, and anything else that has made for one very long afternoon...

19. TotesAndGoats

Bear

I love node, until it goes wrong.

And then I hate it.

20. noxee

Regular Prestigious

Haha yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings. It's all fun and games until you try to upgrade the version or try and help someone else get set up.

21. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Prestigious

Do you or @NotBruce or anyone else have any suggestions for the A+? This is coming from the true definition of a novice. Do I need to be doing the CompTIA Fundamentals before I work on the A+? Is it even recommended? I wasn't able to find much information about how useful it is or isn't.

I just stopped at Barnes & Noble and the most popular A+ study guide on Amazon is a friggin cinder block: http://goo.gl/qxRSbx. Very daunting.

22. matthaber

Been dealing with making an openstack enviroment with Rackspace Public cloud and so far I want to shoot myself in the face. By default they dont allow network security groups/rules to be defined..... I dont get it, didnt they make openstack? Why dont they support all openstack features? This has been a horrible horrible experience so far. Been going back and fourth with their IT people for days now, im going insane.

23. RyanPm40 Jun 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2016)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Using Windows 7 32 bit with IE 11 for our application compatibility is slowly killing me on the inside.

It's sure gonna be interesting when Java (or all browsers) drops applet support for all of our web applications... it's pretty frustrating working with apps that have been around since the early 90s haha.

24. Patlock

The Dream is Over Supporter

My god when I have to roll DNS while working from home, its like a goddamn half hour affair to click a few links. Drives me insane.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. NotBruce

Regular

My company is slowly migrating towards virtual workspaces. We'll still have a few hundered on laptops, but overall, it's looking more and more like I should update my resume.