Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

It: Chapter 2 (Muschetti, September 2019) Movie • Page 28

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jmwhit04, Jun 20, 2018.

1. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Yeah it was still terrible and I hated most of this movie haha

Brother Beck and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  2. zachmacD

Trusted

To the directors credit though, Mike alone could've had his own 5 hours movie. I don't think there's anyway to do some aspects of the book justice

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I want justice for Will maybe even more than justice for Mike. He’s easily a top five secondary character, and they don’t even give him the dignity of a name in these.

4. Night Channels

Trusted

While I really didn’t like how Henry Bowers was handled in the first movie, it’s very clearly explained why he is the way that he is.

His dad literally shoots a gun at his feet and is obviously abusive.

5. zachmacD Sep 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2019)
    zachmacD

Trusted

Agree to disagree. Not that it was the healthiest way to teach him a lesson, but that's how I took it. Henry was going to shoot a cat for christs sake and his father stopped him from doing so

Kuri44 likes this.
  6. Night Channels

Trusted

Uh okay

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s a big oof.

RyanPm40 and Night Channels like this.
  8. Kuri44

“Nothing like a little fear to make a paper man crumble”

The Truth

zachmacD and chewbacca110 like this.
  9. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I remember when my dad shot a gun at my feet because he was pissed.

I really felt the love that day

10. Kuri44

He caught his son about to kill a cat with his own gun while putting his friend in mortal danger at the same time, (and imagine he found out About carving Ben up with a knife). I consider shooting at the ground to scare him in front of his friends a pretty lenient punishment :shrug:

zachmacD likes this.
  11. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I don't think Ben went to the police about being carved up and there are plenty of hints that the father is abusive

12. zachmacD

Trusted

That's why he said " imagine he found out About carving Ben up with a knife".

13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yes, implying that he believes that he found out about it, which I think is false

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I know not everyone has read the book, but Butch Bowers is almost as evil as Pennywise and defending anything he did to Henry is super gross. I can’t believe they dropped the ball so hard with his character that this is even a passing thought.

Night Channels likes this.
  15. zachmacD

Trusted

If you're familiar with the rot in Derry and all the awful stuff that happens there, the father shooting at his feet because he's about to shoot a cat/possibly his friend doesn't stick out to me as being abusive but I understand that perspective if you haven't read the book. Especially when compared to Beverly and her father. The book does a much better job explaining why Harry is the way that he is.

16. Kuri44

My bad

I should’ve added “Imagine IF* he HAD* found out” to be more clear

zachmacD and RyanPm40 like this.
  17. zachmacD Sep 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2019)
    zachmacD

Trusted

You are proving my point. In the book, it's way better explained why Henry is the way that he is. Hence why I said they didn't do a good job explaining it in the movie. Relax, I'm not defending his father

18. zachmacD

Trusted

I didn't take it that way and it looks like that he isn't how he meant it

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Wait, you’re saying his father wasn’t abusive and you HAVE read the book?? He’s like the quintessential character to show how horrific the town is at its core. The film pulled a lot of their punches with that dynamic and forces people to fill in the gaps more than they should have, but it’s absolutely still meant to portray an abusive relationship.

Night Channels and RyanPm40 like this.
  20. Kuri44

I think we can all agree that Georgie definitely had it coming though.

chewbacca110 and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Also calling him Harry once I was going to let slide, but I can’t keep quiet after two, lol.

chewbacca110 and zachmacD like this.
  22. zachmacD

Trusted

You are totally missing my point. My whole point was that compared to the movie, they didn't explain it well. I listened to the audio book (45 hours) so I was totally engrossed in this world. In the book, the father is absolutely horrible so Henry's behavior seems realistic based on how he's treated and his home life. I didn't get that from the movie . I honestly can't believe there's this much discussion about it. I've read a bunch of stuff online about people thinking Henry's behavior in the movie is over the top.

23. zachmacD

Trusted

lmao, missed that

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Well shooting at my kids' feet is definitely my go-to parenting technique in almost every situation. First day of pre-school jitters? Start dancing!

RyanPm40 and Night Channels like this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s because you said him shooting at him wasn’t abusive, and may have even been a noble act intended to help him, the cat, and others and fight Henry’s nature, which is..... not a good look. We can agree that they should have fleshed out both characters more, but he was still awful and abusive even in the few examples they gave us.

GrantCloud and Night Channels like this.