Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

It: Chapter 2 (Muschetti, September 2019) Movie • Page 27

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jmwhit04, Jun 20, 2018.

1. EASheartsVinyl Sep 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2019)
    EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Aware may be the wrong word in a literal sense, but yep. It’s less looking the other way consciously and more understanding in their bones that the town was built with It infecting them, feeding on them, and at the same time helping them succeed as a whole to keep growing and thriving so It will always have that supply. Most people know SOMETHING is very wrong, and a fair amount of them know about the clown throughout history, but it’s all just sort of unspoken.

There are also way more examples of crimes being committed by people without any specific intervention from It. Like the Adrian Mellon scene, there are some where It is seen nearby or feeding afterwards, but even when It’s dormant the town is still riddled with crime and pain.

It’s a pretty great critique of the kinds of systematic issues plaguing the US, down to the specifics of racism, misogyny, and homophobia being rampant. The book ends with a massive flood ripping the town to pieces as It dies, so they don’t get away clean from their own crimes.

RyanPm40 and Brother Beck like this.
  2. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

A lady sitting next screamed at the top of her lungs for every jump scare. But she did it like 2 minutes early each time

3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

52291256-9A91-400F-8751-8D786FF4304C.jpeg

4. Kuri44

As someone who has seen the first one like 8-10 times in the two years it’s been out, I’m not sure if I’d ever watch It 2 again. I haven’t read the book, so I don’t know if the second part just isn’t nearly as good or what, but this wasn’t nearly as memorable or enjoyable as the first.

The adult actors are just doing impersonations of the kid characters from part one most of the time, which gets a bit dull after a while, kinda wish they came into their own as grown ups. Also didn’t think James McAvoy was good in this.

I still loved all the Pennywise appearances.

jkauf, RyanPm40 and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  5. Fwiw I am very very sorry. It’s a boring day at work

2A3C61F2-01EF-4A13-ABFB-999D8856577B.jpeg

6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Watched them both today. Thought the first was decent and hated the second one.

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

9EDF6E32-666A-46E9-9971-684B28135FED.jpeg

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve moved beyond the bargaining stage of my grief about this movie and now will only accept the MEMES.

Wait just kidding, did someone here mention how weirdly proud/touched Pennywise seemed at the very end or did I make that comment up? Because boy was that a strange vibe.

9. He says something like "You're all grown up now" right? Definitely a bit weird, but also kinda creepy so maybe it works?

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I’m pretty sure it was, “Look at you, all grown up,” and the tone was very strange. Maybe they were going for defeated or “small”, but it really teetered over into seeming like It was almost happy or grateful.

11. I took it in more of like a sarcastic, sinister way tbh. Like Pennywise recognizing its defeat but still attempting to belittle the Losers’ place of power. But I can totally see the other way too and yeah that’d be a weird move

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Regardless, that’s my new favorite use of that meme format.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I have no idea if anyone here has seen Dracula Dead and Loving It, but the delivery reminded me of Renfield saying, “You’re starting to look like your old self again,” after drawing the smiley face in the ashes, which was super unintentionally hilarious.

14. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

My lady and I guested on a friends podcast to talk about this flick. It’s pretty divisive amongst the 3 of us...

15. zachmacD Sep 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2019)
    zachmacD

Trusted

I watched IT again last night after loving chapter 2 and I honestly can’t believe people like the 1st movie more than the 2nd.

Georgie’s arm scene(Pennywise was so awkward)
    the woman coming out of the painting
    Henry bowers falling down the well(on this point, they did a horrible job with his character. They didn’t explain at all why he was so crazy)
    The way IT runs at them in like every scene.
    The kids floating in the air in the sewer.
    Also, I can’t remember how it happened in the book, but it seemed like they accepted Mike too fast into the group.
    Honestly, besides Richie, I didn’t love any of the kids which is probably a big reason I didn’t like this movie. Especially Georgie - The Prodigy made me hate this kid

I understand the complaints of the 2nd one but I loved how trippy it was and I thought the deaths were very effective. I also liked the changes that they made to the source material compared to the 1st.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

For me, I remember really being taken aback when they 'went there' with the Georgie attack at the beginning of the first film, and actually showed him not only being bitten but then screaming on the ground in pain while blood spurts out of his arm stump all over the ground and him trying desperately to crawl away. It felt like a bold move, as if the film was throwing down the gauntlet and telling you it wasn't effing around. On subsequent viewings, Pennywise absolutely looks ridiculously wonky in that scene as he's biting down, but it's a real quick shot and the first time I watched it it definitely caught me off guard.

I don't think the film ever really lives up to that beginning, but I do enjoy it a lot as a coming of age tale about a group of friends. I remember reading the book when I was younger and feeling like it was absolutely dripping with dread and evil and I don't think Chapter 1 does a good job of capturing any of that at all. I did find it very entertaining though.

*Edited to add that the quick shot of Pennywise biting down on Georgie's arm looks so bad that it honestly looks like a last minute replacement that they had to make on the quick, as if whatever they had there first was just too brutal and the MPAA hit them with more than an R or something.

chewbacca110, zachmacD and RyanPm40 like this.
  17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I watched most of Chapter 2 again last night and I have a question for anyone who has seen these movies more than me: is it referred to anywhere else in the two films that Mike's parents are drug addicts aside from the 'TWO CRACKHEADS DIE IN FIRE' headline...?

That, to me, was the single worst thing across both movies. In my head that headline is Pennywise making Mike see things to fuck with him, anything else is just too stupid for me even to consider.

The second worst thing across both movies to me is the needle drop of that song when adult Eddie is being puked on by The Leper. It does not fit at all, it is so jarring and random, and it is over so quickly it feels like a mistake. The only way to make that work would have been to have the music come from in the scene and have the two of them knock over an old FM radio or something.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s the only explanation given for the fire, and is 100 percent meant to be taken at face value. It’s astonishingly bad.

Brother Beck likes this.
  19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I refuse to believe it. Just on a character level as one thing, but then also what newspaper is going with that headline and referring to people as crackheads like that...???? Even if Mike's parents do nothing but smoke crack cocaine all day long I don't think any newspaper is going with that headline!

20. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

They show him looking at the newspaper headline later and it just says 2 people died in a fire.

21. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Yeah I think that headline is a hallucination or whatever. When it shows up again later, it doesn’t say that.

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I didn't see it ever again, but if that's true, it makes me feel a little better. I still hate everything about what they did with Mike and his family and his entire story though.

23. zachmacD

Trusted

My thoughts exactly. I thought it was brutal the 1st time and then the rest of the movie didn't live up to that scene. On multiple viewings, the actual bite looks horrible . They should've just shown him bite it off or cut away from it

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oooooh, something I missed! I do think it’s meant to be literal for the audience though, since there isn’t any dialogue to explain anything further. Pennywise doesn’t usually “lie” in the awful things he shows people, just presents things in the worst possible way. The fact that it’s even a question is so frustrating, he deserved so much more in those flashbacks.

Brother Beck likes this.
  25. zachmacD

Trusted

I agree. If I remember correctly, Mike says something about IT having you see what it wants you to see and then the headline no longer says that they were crackheads. I took that as that they weren't actually drug addicts. He had just listened to rumors from a racist town

chewbacca110 likes this.