Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

It: Chapter 2 (Muschetti, September 2019) Movie • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jmwhit04, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

I’m not sure if this was the worst film I’ve seen this year, but it’s up there..

2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I like this more than Chapter One. Where I really disagree with most is the length. I never once felt bored or that it dragged so I can’t say I ever “felt” the length. The final confrontation is as big and epic as it needed be to serve the original source and I loved it. My only true gripe is the same I had with the first one: the running-at-the-audience and shaking POV gag that happened in nearly every scary scene over the course of almost an entire 5 hour run time. Less is more with that.

3. Was the Native American stuff in the books? I like the idea of the ritual sacrificing artifacts, but the fact that Mike basically stole the thing is troubling.

4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't seen Part 2 yet, but less is definitely more with that technique. Like I would be happy never seeing that ever again to be honest.

trevorshmevor and chewbacca110 like this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

No, it’s not, and I have absolutely no idea why they decided to add that in. It’s such a terrible look. Especially when they made other decisions to remove problematic elements and then for that decided to make it way worse than the book for some reason.

The only connections to that idea in the book are that they get the idea for the Ritual of Chud (which is described completely differently) as kids from a book about monsters from different cultures and later they decide to build a smoke hole in their clubhouse to have visions, which is when they see It come to Derry millions of years ago. I have no idea why they even put the clubhouse in the movie if they weren’t going to use it for that plot point.

It’s clear in the books that the reason these ideas work isn’t because they stole them from another culture who just didn’t “believe hard enough”, but because they’re so young and earnest and open to anything that may help them in the battle. It’s along the same lines as believing that they can defeat It with the silver slugs and giving power to something that should just be a kid’s fantasy. It also tied into the Turtle and how there is another powerful entity at play that is ultimately on the side for good, which was just entirely dropped for this.

That addition is up there with what they did to Mike in Chapter One for how much it makes me want to tear my hair out.

Brother Beck likes this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i mean the ritual hardly is the best part of the book either, it's fucking stupid both ways haha

Drew Beringer and Jusscali like this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

trevorshmevor, Cameron and GrantCloud like this.
  8. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

4 realz. I did want a big (female?) turtle though.

9. chewbacca110

I’m good with no turtle. It was hinted enough for book fans. I feel like a giant space turtle would have thrown the movie goers for a loop in a bad way.

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Richie joining in half cocked and accidentally summoning Mr. Nell’s voice/spirit for his insults is one of the best parts of the entire book. And Bill gets some super cathartic moments finally telling It off. The totally bananas spacetime turtle party is just icing.

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Definitely letdown, kind of shocked it was the same team behind the first one actually.

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The choices they went with felt pretty risky and alienating for most general fans as it is, so I wish they had just gone all out bonkers and given us the bejeweled shell and everything.

Jusscali likes this.
  13. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

This was just kinda ehh for me. You could definitely feel the length

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I only felt the length when thinking about other ways they could have been using the time. It didn’t really drag in the moment for me.

15. Syre Dream

Regular

this was amazing, incredible for me

BackyardHero11 and 333 GANG like this.
  16. The more I think about it, the more these things don't sit well with me, which is unfortunate because what's good is really good. Although I haven't read the book, I feel like they could've changed these things while still being faithful to it. Art isn't created in a vacuum, what was okay when the book was written may not be okay now. These were all decisions that had to be made; I'm not too excited to see what Muschietti does next.

17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t think those elements should have been left out in a blanket statement way like some other scenes which really DID need to get dropped, but I’m angrier and angrier with the way they were handled the more I think about it. The fact that nothing was done about the systemic rot in Derry just made the opening scene needlessly cruel instead of harrowing and pivotal to the message that It doesn’t only inhabit a silly clown and everyone is culpable. And the message surrounding Stan’s death and the entire ending hinging on that is just super gross. I really can’t believe they went with that angle.

Zilla likes this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Don’t know if this matters at all as a spoiler, but the explicit shoutout to The Thing is for Richard Masur who played Stan in the miniseries. The tiny details like that were great.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  19. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

I dug it for the most part.

Definitely needed a stronger hand in the editing room to shave it under mayyyyybe 2:20?

Bill Hader is a gem.

20. chewbacca110

Those of you who think it’s too long: what would you cut?

21. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

That’s a good question. Even though I just saw it less than 24 hours ago I don’t even particularly remember a lot of it. So maybe that’s why it was long to me in the moment

22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Is there a werewolf in this?

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

No, although there is a scene with a dog.

24. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Well, I pretty much hated this. Stray thoughts below (also, I’ve never read the book so I have no context there).

Pros:

- the cast was generally great, both kids and adults

- Ben and Beverly’s story is very sweet. Ben is an easy character to root for.

Cons:

- soooo much bad CGI. Just so much. So much.

- positioning Stanley’s suicide as some kind of heroic choice seems....poorly thought out

- Derry didn’t really feel like a real town like last time. It just jumped from set piece to set piece.

- the pattern of separating the characters to experience something scary over and over got really tiresome

- I don’t know why Henry Bowers was in this. If you took his whole character out, the movie would be no different

- really strange comedy beats. What the FUCK was that “angel of the morning” needle drop? And why is Eddie making wisecracks to Henry Bowers 10 seconds after getting stabbed in the face?

Zilla and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I just watched Chapter 1 again and as a horror movie it stayed about the same for me, but as a nostalgic coming-of-age film a lá Stand By Me it was even better than I remembered it being. During the scenes where the kids are having fun together I just wanted that to continue so badly and for nothing bad to happen to them, supernatural or otherwise.

333 GANG and EASheartsVinyl like this.